I have been catching hybird stripers like crazy

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by osageCo_flathead, Mar 13, 2007.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have limited out every day the past 2 fishing from the bank. Strange thing is all these are supposed to be hybrids and they are not. I have caught 4 fish loaded with eggs. I also had my line broke by fish 3 times today and lost a monster because the hook straitened!!!

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The eggs are probably sterile. I'm sure it's something that could be researched with enough time though...

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hybrids will carry eggs, but as dougc said they will be sterile.

How have you been catching them?

4. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Billy
    Please, quit with the suspense, what are you using for bait, lures, what techniques are getting you limits from the bank. Here it is still too early for hybrids, but hard to for me to catch them from a boat let alone from the bank. Thanks for any help. Luck

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    where ya catchin them at?

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Billy!! Details, Please :lol:

Tired of gettin skunked over here :tounge_out: We may be able to give it another try on Sunday afternoon and would sure like to have better success!

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    details please and thank you!

8. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, I'm back. Guys I'm not sure about the eggs not being fertile based on what we have caught in the throw nets and polls. I hope to be wrong...but I'm not so sure.

And for those of you wanting to know where I fish and with what baits I'll tell you what I know. I am using 3 inch white curly tailed grubs with an 1/8 jig head (with or without the spinner). We caught from a boat one day and then decided to walk the shore the last 2 and done very well. I have also done well on the 3" white crazy eye shad, but really the curly tail grubs are so much cheaper and the fish rip any soft lure apart after about 2-3 fish that it is crazy to throw that much money at them. We were fishing Skiatook lake near the camping area on the North side where hominy creek is. We also did well below the Eufaula dam a few days back for those closer to that area.

9. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Catching a lot here too on Stockton lake and a few small streams around here. They are striking the bait very hard. A big one I hooked
    stuck the hook right in the eye. White rooster tails with big spinners are doing well. (not just for me) :cool2:

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Save some for the brothers congrats:tounge_out:

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a game warden told me a while back that the hybrids and sand bass are spawning together. the whole conversation started when he told be my "sand bass" were actually hybrids. i contested this of course, and he showed me the tounge patches had two bars instead of a v on them, making them hybrids. from the outside, they looked like sand bass, and i have caught enough of them. he was nice enough not to ticket the heck out of me, just told me to check the toungue patches from then on. i waqs glad because i had 15 or so of what he called hybrids, 12-15 inches long. hybrids in texas have to be 18 inches minimum, and the daily bag is five.
    when i got home, i called the texas freshwater fisheries department and they assured me the two species cannot hybridize. i'll keep on checking the patches, just in case.

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Sounds like you are having a blast of a time. Never fished for hybrids or have a clue what they look like.

13. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

Where are you fishing at? My grandpa and I caught a mess of them today at Konawa lake. We weren't for sure if there was a limit so we stopped keeping them after we had thirty fish on the stringer. We fished for another thirty or so minutes after that and caught about 18 or 20 more.

Attached Files:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nice catch daniel and good eats too!

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm gonna be fishing a warm water discharge sunday. Will mostly be fishing for crappie, but I'm hoping to get into the stripers too. Anything in particular to keep an eye out for as far as where to fish them? Look for bait fish, or just jig around 'till I find some? I caught a few small ones last time, but would like to catch some keepers? Last time we were fishing in water maybe 10 feet deep near some rip-rap. No bigguns.

16. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If your fishing near a discharge, hybrids generally sit right outside of the main current waiting for food to come by. I have had the best luck by finding the main current and then drift fishing it (as in casting into the main current and pretty much just letting it float down stream). This only works if there is a strong discharge however.

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. We gaught several Sunday while catfishing. They were hitting on fresh shad heads in heavy current. Just FYI.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We catch Big Hybrids below Kentucky Dam in the spring. We use 6" chartreuse swim shads by storm lures. We stand on the concrete platform and just give out about 10' of line and let the current take the lure out. It swims in place and looks very real in the strong current. The Hybrids will take the pole out of your hands if your not ready for them. We tore them up in april and may last year. The biggest ones were weighing 10 lbs. and the smallest were around 5 lbs. What a blast!

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Below Kentucky Dam is a good place to catch some hard fighting Hybrids in the spring. I use a 6" chartruese swim shad and a 1/2 oz. jig head. There is a concrete platform that you can go out on and it puts you in a great spot for Hybrids. Just let out about 10 yrds of line and let the current do the rest. The hybrids will find the stationary bait and just about take the pole out of your hands. We usually catch some good ones of around 10-12 lbs. The limit is 5 per day here as well as stripers too. They will hit the same baits and we have caught some really nice ones in the past. The water has to be down enough so that I can walk out onto the concrete platform....because I haven't been able to catch them any other way so far. In the winter you can fish with skipjacks and catch some good stripers.:cool2:

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky

Do you think there will be some action down there around Christmas ? Isthere still access down there?