I have a question

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by zappaf19, Jun 22, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I was crappie fishing and cattiing at the same time same depth for each pole. Crappie had a rooster tail with a bee moth. Cat pole had chicken livers soaked in salt and garlic. The bobbers were 3' apart. Why did the cat hit the rooster tail?
    Bill

2. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    well... the sent of the liver brought the cat close... it the rooster tail was moving at all, the cat prolly thought it was a small live fish and that he would eat that first, then go after the livers... but if it was staying still, then i don't know... maybe just a stupid fish... lol

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thats probably what did. Cat's are predatory and a little fish probably looked like a good snack.

4. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Curiousity killed the cat.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

That would be my guess too. It sort of seemed like the Chicken Liver was Chum.

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Appetizer, then entree.

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    if the rooster tail had a blade on it it probaly saw the sunlight hit it and thought it was a baitfish

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My dad catches plenty of small cats on solid black panther martin spinners. I have tried it, but his 30 years of fishing spinners really whoops my 4 year experience butt. One time, my dad said "let me borrow you ultra-light real quick, I bet I'll catch something on the first cast." He casted it right along the dock and wham, a 3 pound channel. I was mad at myself, I only caught a few small bream. He does that everytime :crazy: .

9. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    He may have thought the rooster tail was cuttin in on his liver lunch.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Channel cats are well know for taking a lure, especially spinner types. Sometimes, you can catch a good sized one. But, bait will consistantly out fish lures, except on that odd day.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    theres also a possibility that you had a small fish on the rooster tail and didn't know it and the cat ate that but the fish got off before the cat was brought in... the other members thoughts are good ones too though...

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have caught some of the biggest cats i have ever caught on lures. They eat fish. They are predators.

I have never caught a cat much over 10 lbs, but i have caught several in the 5-7 lb range on jigs, cranks and spinners. Cats seem to be "fish of opportunity".

I used to fish one lake that had tons of channels and they would only hit worms, FRESH cut bait, or lures that imitated live fish. Was a great lake.

cyas
    rc

13. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have caught catfish on plastics, cranks,spinners,jigs,well heck almost erery thing. that is what is good about catfish ,if it moves its food , if it sits still and is dead its food. they will eat anything.

bill

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I agree with the above. Liver attracted the kitty and he thought the Rooster Tail was a fish.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    All good logical answers here and I agree. I have caught a lot of channels on a crawdad imitation crankbait. The rooster tail would probably look like a shad or shiner to the cat which is a natural bait to him. No doubt the chicken liver chummed him into the area.