I have a question on recycling glass windows

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Mar 24, 2009.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hopefully you good people will have an answer, Satuday I and my family went down and inspected our old barn that came with the property we bought. Apparently the folks who owned this place before us,used the barn to store their junk,and when they sold it they left all the junk to us. I found some sort of an electric motor,a bunch of old glass windows,tins,My question do or can you recycle glass windows? I know the electric motor and tin ya can,but if anyone has answers I'd sure appreciate it.Thank you in advance.:smile2:

2. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in the country and my trash pichup people do not seperate here, In Galesburg (pop. around 30,000) they have seperate totes for plastic/paper/glass that is all recycled, I am sure most larger cities have a place that accepts glass for recycling, there might be a fee involved but I am just guessing, I saw a show one day on tv that was using recycled glass in countertops, it was really neat. I would start in the yellow pages under recycling or online--good luck.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    they recycle in my area. Glass is one of them things that can be recycled. there is some limitations though. But i'm guessing your talking clear window glass. shouldn't be a problem if you have somebody that recycles it.

Maybe check with your local municipality office, maybe they can steer you in the right direction.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I know some of the OLD glass windows some people like to use as deco in their homes. Any thing unusuall about these windows compared to more modern?

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As far as I could tell they were old glass windows,now I didn't see up close so they may be cracked.Apparently something was wrong or they wouldn't have put them in a barn. One of you folks said there might be a fee,I thought the recyclers paid you for the recycables,am I wrong?:confused2:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    It cost to recycle a lot of things anymore Pat.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We pay $14 a month for trash and recycle pickup. Trash every week and recycle every other week.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If they are windows,Some folks re use then in outbuildings and such. I recycled three windows when I built my daughters rabbit barn and my shed. These were aluminum with outside storm windows ,They may have just upgraded to more energy efficient ones on the house.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Dang it Rich, your always jumpin in there an beating me to it. I was just getting ready to say it an you beat me. LOL:wink:
    Your fast!
    I aint but half.......your speed.:wink:

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    make a hot house out of them, for your garden. start your seed pots in it.
    smokey

11. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Im sure they have a place to take glass, they recycle bottles and such,