I have a question - Limb Lines For Catfish?

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by zappaf19, Jun 23, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Have any of you fished using string from a limb for cats? I would like to try this but have no clue on how to do this. I have some very strong string but what size weight etc.? Chicken livers? Depth?
    Bill

2. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Even though I have not done this in years, I used to love to do it when I was younger. My Dad and I set many "bush hooks" out. You need to find a limb out over the water and make sure it has some spring to it, otherwise a good size fish can break it off. As far as weights I can't ever remember using any other than the bait we used. We usually set 5 or more of these out and varied the depth. Anywhere between 2 to 3 inches under the water up to a couple of feet deep. It's a blast when you go out to check them and you see the tree limb almsot buried in the water or it's bouncing up and down like crazy. Also make sure you carry a net. Never know what you might catch.
    Good luck.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Years ago, in southern Iowa rivers, at night,we would set out "diddy poles" which amounted to sticks stuck in the banks with nothing but the bait(crawdads) on them. Checked the every hour. Cleaned up on channels...:smile2:

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Here in Arkansas we call them limb lines. I have used them. Thay do pretty good.
    But before you try them read up on the regulations concerning them. If i'm not mistaken. Here thay have to be tied off with cotton line.
    Here's how I do it. You find out how deep the water is where you want to put your line and put your hook about a foot off bottom, your weight will be about 10 inches up the line from your hook. Use enough weight to hold the hook down. You can use any thing for bait from Chicken liver to Live bream.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Richard has it right, especially about checking your game regulations. Most citations are issued due to ignorance. BUT, being stupid won't help you catch that many more fish. If I was going to the trouble to set out lines, I'd try to make it worth my while. Definetly live bream. You can get channels, blues and flatheads. Liver - your more apt to get a turtle.

6. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Just A Really Strong Semi-flexible Limb With Some Tough String. The People Down Here Put A Perch On The Line Dangling 2/3 In The Water..u Just Have To Make Sure He's In The Water Enough To Not Die...lol...he'll Make A Hell Of A Lot Of "racket" On The Surface, And Attract Something...
    Shaun

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have one thing to ask. PLEASE REMOVE THEM WHEN DONE USEING THEM. I trained boy scouts canoeing and was amazed at how many limblines were left abanded with rusty hooks hanging above the water line.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill-

The following is a direct quote from the DNR 2006 Fishing Guide:

"You may fish with no more than 10 lines at any one time. Each line may have no more than one single or multi-barbed hook attatched to it. Each line must have a readable tag showing the name & address of the user. All lines must be checked atleast once every 24 hours. It is illegal to use a limb or drop line within 300yards of any partial or full dam structure on any stream, river, ditch, canal, or reservoir."

Smitty

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i always fished them off the bottom with a few ounces of weight and with bluegills. limb lines to me are for filling the freezer, and i like flathead for that. i look at it as cheating, so i always let anything of size go (20#+) unless they swallow the hook so next time i can catch it on a rod and reel.
    ill set lines a couple days a year when the water is real high, cause theres more limbs to choose from and the gar wont steal your bait as bad.

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thanks for the replies. I will have to give it a try. I think I will go with gills as bait.
    Bill

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Bill
    You will need to find yourself a spool of some good quality braided line stay away from the twisted type of line as it tends to untwist itself when you cut it. I like to use no less then 250 lb test.

Find a fishy looking area with a limb hanging over the water.Test the limb By bending the heck out of it (because a big ole cat sure will). ten tie a sinker to the end of your line and drop it in the water unspooling line till the weight hits the bottom. cut the line and tie to the limb with the weight still on the bottom but no or little slack in the line. Next pull the weight back up and determine how deep you want to fish and tie a loop into the line, then attach a hook to a leader and tie the leader to the loop. Bait up and drop back down in the water.

Practice CPR or at least selective harvest, Leave the Big fish to reproduce!!!

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe it to be one of if not the best way to start off and get small children interested in fishing.They do not have to have patience to fish or catch fish this way.They get excited over the catch,and are eager for more.A toddler can be started off and enjoy fishing this way.This is a family tradition with thousands of families.They can start to learn the simplest and easiest to learn forms of safety,sportsmanship and responsibility like this.This can be and is a sport if done in such a manner.I am not talking about 'MEAT" fishing,which I have observed with all types of gear.You do not even need a boat,as you can often wade and attach lines while standing on the bank.It is the cheapest way to fish as far as gear goes.peewee-williams

13. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    We've done it for years and done well on lakes. Use braided or tarred twisted line, with a large swivel, as channels will twist it up into knots and normal twisted line will come undone. Cedar branches are the best if available, and we've also caught good flats on solid logs using a innertube set. Use a strip of innertube as the shock absorber and tie to the log. We usually use live bait, goldfish and gills, and about 2 oz. of weight to allow them struggle but not tangle on nearby brush. Use good SS hooks, and be sure you have good play in the branch, as we've had 4/0-6/0 stainless hooks bent out straight when we were learning the game. Now we only target flats and use 8/0 SS or bigger and make sure there is good play in the branch. Good luck and have fun.

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am leary of cats over 28" because of the run off from the farm fields. I have been reading about this kind of fishing and decided to see how it is done. Sounds like fun! I'll take my camera just in case.
    Bill

15. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    MPERRY,

We used to that as well on the east fork of White River, anywhere between Columbus and Medora. We used bluegill and big chub minnows for bait. We would set up camp, go set out lines, return to camp, fish from the bank and run our lines every 1-2 hours throughout the night. When we were packing it to go home we would go back out and take our lines down for use another day. Hey, this stuff can get expensive or else I'm just cheap/frugal. One wouldn't want to leave a big hook hanging there in the open for someone to get caught on. We would use a fairly large white line (like trotlines are made of) available at any hdwe store, a big barrel swivel and then 1-3 ft. of a good braided line. We had alot of fun doing that. I'ld like to do it again.
    On another note, are you related to a Ron Perry that lived/lives in Crothersville?

16. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i agree completely. I have a friend of the family want to go catfishing. she was only 7 and after getting out and not catching fish for about 25 minutes she was ready to go in. so i took her up in the creek and we tied tree lines. those channels were hitting faster than i could tie them. we also threw some jugs out as that is a fun way to watch a fish hit. she had a blast and i've had her out twice since then.

we usually use big live bluegills when we target the flatties. i usually just give the bluegill a little play in the rope and don't tie a weight. this way they will usually splash around in a little circle on the surface, making all kinds of racket.

17. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bobact Ron is my brother. Where are you from? Maybe I know you. I have not fished with bush hooks in years. I would like to do it again. We usually fished the Maskatuck between Austin and Crothersville and the river around Tampico. Used to set lines every weekend. Just need to convince my wife that I need a small boat for rivers now. :big_smile:

18. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I knew your bro. originaly from Brownstown Central High. In the 8'th he and my oldest bro. Steve were good buds. Then after I married Nancy Pace we moved to Crothersville. Ron's ex (Debbie) and Nancy are and have been best friends for many years. I'm originally from Freetown, now Scottsburg. We sued to fish Salt Creek and White River mostly when we were growing up. We did so well in the river, we never saw the need to quit. We just expanded our fishing waters.
    I haven't fished Hardy Lake but very little. It's a good sized lake and there ought to be some good sized cats in it. I don't own a boat so I haven't had the opportunity to learn the Lake. If you wish, e-mail me and we might be able to get together and catch a cat or two.
    bobact2000@gmail.com Robert Acton

19. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana

Robert, I have a boat and try to get out and fish as much as possible. If you are ever at Hardy you probably go right by my house. I live on Hardy lake road and would be more than glad to go fishing. We try to get over to Patoka a few times a year to. I have not fished the rivers in a long time but wouldn't mind doing it again. Where do you live at in Scottsburg. I'll try to drop you an e-mail. I don't know if you remember Keith (Another brother) but he is camping out at Hardy this week so we will probably be out there a few days. I am on vacation next week also. Going to fish at night since it's so dam hot. Might try for some crappie and cats. My e-mail is mmlperry@hotmail.com or mperry@aisindrive.com. Give me a shout sometime. I'm at work today probably until 4:00pm.

20. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Lot of info on this thread. Before joining the BOC, I usually learn by trial and error and man have I made a lot of errors when setting limb lines.

I do not suspend my bait from the bottom. I have found that the best targeted limbs have to have a few key characteristics to consistantly produce. The limbs must be green (flexible) but strong enough to hold possibly a 40+ lb cat. I pick limbs that overhang next to structure and are either on a deep bank where the river has made a cut out on the bank. The best are ones with large exposed root systems that provide hideouts for cats. Hint: when the water is down, I locate and mark these cutouts. For the set up, I use braided catfish string from Walmart and set up the terminal tackle on a 3-way swivel set-up. I put a 3 to 5 oz bank weight on a 12-20 inch leader hanging on the bottom of the rig. I tie the top to the main line, and then I secure a 7-10/0 circle hook on a 12 inch leader to the 3rd swivel eye. I always hook my bait live (usually bream since they are sturdy and drop them down as close to the structure as I can get. The weight has to keep the bream from swimming into the structure. The swivel allows the bream to swim around in circles...it drives the cats wild.

Just my 2 cents but this really works for me on the Alabama river.