I have a question if I may?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by pk_powell, Dec 22, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hear talk about fishing rods being 10 to 16 feet long! Do they cast pretty far? I'd like to have something matched with a good reel that will throw forever and possibly wind up in some good holes since I have to fish from the bank. This pole would have to break in half since I use a car to go fishin! But anyone who can recommend something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg please post and tell me what ya have in mind cause I'm really interested!:smile2:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Pat, longer rods do cast further . I would recommend something in 9 or 10 ft with a line rating of 30 to 40 lbs. casting weight of 5 or 6 oz.As for a reel I would go with a size 80 or 90 spinning reel to get the best casting distance.Several company's make good rods in the lower price range, also reels come in all price ranges

3. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Recently I bought a 12' Pinnacle Power Tip Pro $24.95 and a Quantum Optix 60 costing around $20.00. This is a spinning outfit.Now centainly this is not a big cat outfit, but for cats under say 15lbs not a bad rig.I use a 2oz egg wieght and can really reach out there and hit the deeper holes.I would have to agree the longer the rod , the longer the cast. With the holidays right around the corner there should be some good deals out there. Good luck, good fishing and MERRY XMAS

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The general idea is that longer rods do cast further. Just make sure that you match rod length and capacity with a compatible reel, line, and weight when casting. You will get the most out or a rod as far as distance when you do those things. Also as a general rule heavy line will not cast as far as lighter line. Also using the correct form and stance when casting can help add distance to your cast. I can cast well, but I have a buddy that casts even further than I do as he throws with a whipping motion overhead. He did the same thing with my rod too.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Pat, I have them all in sizes 10' thru 16'. I don't know about throwing them forever, but I chunked one last June and haven't got it back yet. (Now, that was a fish story, so don't get upset). I don't use anything more than 20 lb test on any of my outfits. Figure if I did get a granddaddy cat on my pole, and couldn't get it in with 20, the good lord wanted the fish to stay in the water. You can hit those futher holes with the longer poles and heavier weights. Usually the pole is matched to a line and weight size capability. You can exceed it, but I kind of figure the people who engineered/designed the rods know more about that stuff than I do, so I try and comply with their suggestions. Your reel should be what your comfortable with... a good spinning reel or a good baitcaster. In theory, a spinning reel will throw futher than a bait casting reel because there is less drag when you throw the weight. There are sites on the web which give pointers and tips on the techniques of distance casting. Find these and practice what they are preaching. Don't expect that because your using a bigger pole that the size of your fish are to increase correspondingly... they may.... but the most fish in the water are the little dinks, so you'll still catch your share of them. Good luck, and keep us posted. Gotta keep up with the women, you know. LOL

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Iv'e got a 10' and 12' surf casting rod. The 12' is a master power stick. I'm an trying to find information on where to buy them. I have it paired with a Shakespeare Alpha 2560 spinning reel with 50# Power Pro. I use 2oz bank sinkers usually. This set up allows me to cast a long ways and still have the ability to handle some large fish. But casting that far can be pretty tiring just reeling in a 15 pounder. When I find more info on the Master rods, I will let you know.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you Sir! Your info is most appreciated.:big_smile:

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    the master power stick, its sad to say but that was one of my favorite rods i have ever owned. and boom it was yanked in, so its gone now, so i figured i would get another one. oh this is the part thats gonna help you out, yes its a sad fact the master power stick is no longer made. and hasnt been made for quite a long time now..
    but on the other hand pk powell, if you are wanting a casting rod bass pro has there 10-11 footers on sale right ow on there web site for $29.99. so if you are wanting the bigger rod i would suggest picking one of these up they are awesome. they are made if eglass, and they have a backbone like you wouldnt beleive, and they match great with almost any reel. plus not to mention bass pro's warranty on it, it breaks they fix it or replace it. another you may wanna try would be the eagle claw water eagle's can be picked up fairly cheap arund 25.00 bucks. decent rod and a good back bone as well. but they only come in 10ft casting, or 11ft spinning. but i would strongly suggest the cat maxx rods. try one you will love it.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    That explains why I can't find them. Are they the same Master rods made by Penn? And yes, mine is a few years old and has a few battle scars and a couple of eyelets have been relaced. Maybe I'll get someone to redo the whole thing, if I can find someone close by that knows what they are doing.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Academy sells their 16' poles for like $35.00. !5' poles are around $32.00 and 14' poles around $28. I'd check your local Academy before I spent top dollars at some of the other stores mentioned. May not be as good a deal as I think, but, it is what I'd do. LOL

11. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pat what you are gonna find is that a longer pole is not gonna help you in the Mo river. Still water they will help you but fishing in current your line will get hung up alot and your gonna be pulling your hair out in the end.Fishing from the bank is a tough deal finding bigger fish unless you can find places to fish on sand flats at night and are willing to spend the time doing it. At night the bigger fish will move shallow and feed and you need to keep the noise and light level down to be able to have good success.You have to use the current to your advantage if you plan on fishing from the bank. A creek mouth is one exception, as fish will move into them in certian times and situations.