I have a question about giving my dog Aspirin?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, Jan 18, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have a Rottweiler thats approx. 180+lbs and is approx. 10-12 years old.
    He seems to have pretty bad problems with his hips, especially the rear ones. I was wondering If I could give him Baby Aspirin or Regular Aspirin and how much and how often?
    He also has cataracts and doesn't see too well. Is there anything over the counter for them I could do to make his time here more comfortable? Putting him down isn't an option since he's like our kid.
    I've also read about Glucosamine and condroiton(sp) for dogs. As of right now, we can't afford the Rx stuff. Way above our budget. If that would help, how much and how often?
    I also have another half Rott approx. 80lbs that she seems to have lots of skin allergies. I've read you can give them Benadryl but not positive.
    I don't wanna hurt them but just wanna try to make them more comfortable.
    Thanks in advance for the advice and help!!! Its greatly appreciated!!!:wink:

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John: Was gonna answer you, but your lit up on the bottom of your board like a bomb is going to go off. Someone ratted ya.

Talk to you when we see what happens here. John.

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John, I'm not sure on the Aspirin, but we've given our dog low doses of Benadryl to help with the occasional allergic reaction. This was recommended by the vet.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thought Kwanza and Christmas was over. We are both lit up. Somebody must not really like us. I knew somebody was gonna whine about something. It is a pretty yellow though.

5. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    After a hard day of huting I would give my 60# bird dog 1 buffered asprin for a day or so.
    I'm not sure about the long term use.

When he got old and had the hip/leg pains, I would take him in once a month for a shot of Adequan. It was about $42.00 per visit. This made a huge difference.

6. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hmmmm.......

Nothing is lit up here... but then that don't mean nothing cept maybe I need a lighter.

I was always told it was a no no to give dogs aspirin. Then again, the dogs I was told not to give it to are no more than 15 lbs. That might be the difference.

Good luck. I know how much they become a part of the family.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John,

I am having the same problem with my 14 yr old male Pom. Doesn't hear well, cataracts and now seems to have chest congestion. Been giving him some liquid Amoxcillin (?), but doesn't seem to be helping any. BHH, he bumps into stuff and it kills my soul.

Hope the other John can help!

Take care.
    Cheryl

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It seems the 'report post' button was highlighted just to bring attention to it.

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gotta find my diploma to make sure I am really a Vet. Don't want to get sued. Back later when I have time. Maybe Dr Phil can give us some advice too. LOL

John (Post 'em when their dead) beetle

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

LOL!!! Lit up like a Christmas Tree and being ratted on.....What a day!:wink::smile2:

I just wanna try to make Harley as comfortable as I can. He's a great dog and gentle as can be. I'll try to get a pic of him on here, It won't do his size justice though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. monimoon

monimoon New Member

State:
    NC
    John, I’ve HEARD that bigger animals (dogs) like yours can have anything a human can have. If I was you I’d call around to your local vet’s office and get all the free info you can get. I hope someone on here can help you a bit farther. Poor puppy, he's so cute.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey John, the pictures look like before and after.....that second shot looks pretty rough. I think nutrition has a lot to do with it. I switched to a weight control formula food for my biggin and he started having the hip thing within 3 weeks. I went back to the original, and he did too. Also heard that daily doses of ester C, the vitamin, will help.
    Looks like a big sweetie, hope ya can help. I think nutrition is as important for them as us.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey John.......I have had instances where my vet recommended giving the goldens one adult aspirin daily. However, this was not over an extended period of time. I'm sure Dr.John will come back this afternoon with the right advice for ya. Glad he's around so we can pick his brain sometimes :cool2:.

As far as the glucosamine/chondroitin goes, you might wanna check out some veterinary supply websites. I've gotten good deals on products from both of these: www.jefferspet.com and www.drsfostersmith.com

You also might be able to find something suitable at a farm supply or similar business?

Don't know anything about the Benadryl, even though two of mine have skin allergies as well. We always just went and got a shot of hydrocortisone if they had a bad spell in the summer. They seem to have grown out of this though, so guess I'm lucky in that respect.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks! That second picture was about 2 minutes after he got a bath. He went straight for the dirt and just covered himself with dirt. It was funny to me but not so much to Regina since she was the one that bathed him...:smile2:
    I'll look into the Ester C, I know he's toward the end of his life span and just wanna try to make his time more enjoyable instead of full of pain.
    He's a big baby! If he don't know you he can put the fear in you though!:wink::wink::smile2:

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    John, do what is right for your dog. It is far better that you suffer heart ache than to make your dog suffer life. His time sounds like it is coming to an end let him go with the dignity that he deserves from being such a fine boy all these years. Make him as comfortable as you can for now. but don't make him endure hard times for to long. He will appreciate it buddy.:sad2:

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Heres some skinny John. Won't get technical and I'll tell ya in my own way. You have learned to take me with a grain of salt. Helps the beer taste better sometimes.

Your dog probably has arthritis as you have surmised. Sometimes you can have a neurologic problem that can cause what you see, but doubtful here. Usually that is in German Shepherds. I doubt you have dysplasia problems or that would have occurred a long time ago. So, therefore we are on the track of just getting old. A big dog carrying weight and getting old will get sore.

Aspirin is a wonderful product. Regular cheap old aspirin. NOT enteric coated. Use the same stuff you use. Give 10 mg/lb, but in your case with your dog (or any dog) don't give more than two twice a day. I always liked my clients to give a dose to the dog when they went to bed. The dog was comfortable overnight and there was adequate aspirin in their bloodstream to get them cooking in the morning when their activity started. Give the second dose about noon or a little after if you can. Aspirin long term will make them bleed, esp if they are finicky eaters. Make sure they eat well. Boots is correct about diet. Don't be hesitant to give them any kind of supplement you want. It will at least make you feel better. I had clients give the aspirin with food or stuff it in something like liverwurst to take it.

Nancy uses a product called Cosamin DS on our dogs. A capsule you can give daily or twice daily. It is Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate. We have a little different problem than you do. But the idea is the same. It will reduce their joint pain. Keep their weight down. I like people to use probiotics on these dogs also. Good old yogurt that makes me want to puke is good for them.

Your dogs cataracts are usually inherited. As long as you are sure it has not been caused by diabetes and this does not seem to be the case, don't worry about it. Your dog could be totally blind as some are and can get along fine. Don't change the furniture around. LOL Where they have problems is if they develop glaucoma. That is not good, not good. You will know it then.

Cheryl, get that congestion sounding dog of your checked for heart problems if you can afford it. Not unusual for these little guys to have congestive heart failure.

I like the yellow color of the "Rat Button". I don't care how fancy they get the name, it is still a "Rat Button" The yellow color matches the cowards who will use it.

Postbeetle.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks so much John!!! Would it be ok If I give him 1 regular strength in the morning and one at night?
    Would the Glucosamine and Chondroitin be ok to give in addition to the aspirin?
    He still eats very good. We've put him on a diet to try and get his weight under control!

Reply to Jack.....
    I have a heavy feeling in my heart that the time is drawing near. Its not just up to me but also up to Regina and her Mom. None of us can bear that thought of putting him down. He's such a great dog!!! It breaks my heart watching him get up and down...:sad2:....I know there will be a day when we have to but I just want to try and help him some.

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!

18. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    John, I have a German Sheperd Collie mix and weighs about 85lbs and he has a hip problem to and I give him Aleve. The vet told me that it was fine to give it to him but I only give it to him when he really looks like he is in pain. I only give it to him a couple of times a week sometimes. I give my other Shepperd benedryl to ease his heriditery mange itch.

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I wonder if the Aleve would help him better than the Aspirin? I just know he has a tough time getting up and down and sometimes walking. It breaks my heart to see him in pain!!!!!:sad2:....He's like my Big Baby!!!:big_smile:
    So, you think regular Benadryl once a day could help with my other outside dog? She gets an allergic reaction to fleas and who knows what else. I use the good drops and bathe her with medicated shampoo to try and cut down on the fleas. I also use seven dust in the yard, building and kennel for fleas. A couple times during the Summer we buy some chemical to spray all the yard and building with.
    Thanks Al and everyone else for the kind and honest words. I just don't wanna hurt him by accident by trying to help him.
    THANK YOU ALL!!!!!:wink::big_smile:

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have had a vet recomend asprin