I HAVE A FEW SHAD ?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BIGCATFISHDAN, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    WHERE DO U GUYS HOOK THEM WERE THEY WILL STAY ALIVE AND NOT FLY OFF WHEN YOU CAST, ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST WQAY TO KEEP THEM ALIVE. IVE BEEN CATCHING SHAD FOR YEARS AND NO MATTER WHAT I DO THEY DIE 5 MI AFTER I DROP THEM IN THE BUCKET:confused2:

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I CAN'T keep the little ones alive at all, fresh and on ice, I usually hook little ones about middle through spine and back through the gill plate. Keeping bigger ones alive isn't too hard, lot's of oxygen, shadkeeper and keep the water cool, not cold. Don't overcrowd them, they'll ruin their own water, I keep 15 to 30 in a 60qt cooler, overnight in the summer with just a wally world two outlet aquarium pump, shad keeper and treated tapwater. Good luck to ya...

P.S. give em a few min in a bucket of lake water to "vomit", this will help your water quality.

3. Gort

Gort New Member

State:
    Texas
    The little shad, we put into a large bucket... 7 or 8 gallon size, no more than about 2 or 3 dozen at a time... they stay alive for several hours as long as you don't crowd them too much. if you have a medium size cooler that will work... just give them plenty of water, fill it up.

When we fish out of the boat the live well keeps them alive without too much trouble... just keep adding fresh water. never used any of the shad keeper tablets. If we do anything, we may add a little bit of ice now and then to keep them cool... they don't use up the oxygen as fast.
    When they die, we put them on ice to keep them from getting too soft.

Hooking live shad... we hook them thru the tail, and leave them alone... till they are hit... just behind the dorsal fin works, but to me, they seem to die faster, and the yellow bass tear them up.
    When dead... We hook them thru the mouth, all the way thru the body... force the shad into a curl, using a J hook... works really good for the stripers and cats as well... or we cut the heads and tails off... make plugs out of them.

4. Gort

Gort New Member

State:
    Texas
    When you catch them, drop them straight into the bucket... when you drop them on the ground, etc. and have to handle them they seem to die really quick