I have a dumb question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by vetrock, Aug 27, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I have never hunted with a crossbow, and don't know anyone who does.

When hunting with a crossbow, when do you cock it? It seems like there is too much movement to do it when the deer is present. Does cocking it beforehand and leaving it in a cocked position while hunting weaken the bow? I know you can't dry fire the thing, so do you shot the bow into the ground after you are through hunting? Do you take the broad head off, and put the practice tip back on before doing so?

Sorry for my ignorance.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No question is dumb if you don't know the answer. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer either.
    BB in SC

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Yes you load and cock the cross bow after you get up in your stand and get settled. It is not going to harm the bow if it is cocked for just a few hours at a time especially if it is a compound bow.

You can shoot it in the ground after the hunt to uncock it but instead of changing the broadhead just carry an extra bolt with ya that has a field tip on it and change the bolts before doing so.

4. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    thank you sir!

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I load mine after I get in the stand. I keep one practice tip for unloading and I have manualy let it off a time or two as well but you realy need a crossbow cocking sling to help. (cocking devises are for people who have a hard time pulling a crossbow it works like a winch they slid on the but of the crossbow and attach to the string and then you just turn the handle as if you were tighing you boat to the trailer.) Mine is a hoyt 150lbs I can pull by hand but very hard to do. good luck they are fun to shoot but I dont like to shoot over 25 or 30 yards with mine, but it might be me or my bow but anything over its hard to keep acurate.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not have mine now due to a back injury but always load it after you get in the stand. The little movement loading the bow will not make that much difference because you had to move to get up in the stand.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    What he said! LOL