I have a Blue cat Question

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by canepole, Oct 8, 2005.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I woke up this morning and stuck my head out side and Brrrrrrr its cold out there, they said on TV it was 46 degree's ,
    I know it won't be long before bluecat fishing should get good.
    "Here's my question""
    When do Blue Cats start to school..I think I know the answer,But will save my two cents for later..

2. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

i could be wrong but i belive it is when the water temp gets down to 50 degrees?is that about what your thinking on temp?
    KIRK :)

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i would think if i remember right from last year. i think the water was around somewhere in the mid to upper 50's when i started to finding schools of blues different river and lakes may very too.

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its had been my experience that bluecats school year round.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The catfish don't school so much as they concentrate on the bunched up baitfish.Down here when the water cools down to 50 the shad concentrate in front of the dams in the warmer water.Any period of cold snap causes die offs on which the blues pig out.Blues are a fish that roam the water concentrating on baitfish virtually all year at least in lakes.They are very much like stripers only the blues can tolerate much warmer water.Find bait and blues are nearby.

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My sentiments exactly. I routinely find schooled blues...but it's always in relation to there being forage fish such as shad nearby.

7. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    looks like i'll be getting cold this year i found county park lake full of channels and blues close to house

8. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    Does anyone know why certian times of year you can catch blues on cut bait, then later catch them on live bait? Does it have to do with weather, or water temp? Is it just natural, depends on the food source around the area?
    Maybe a dumb question but thought id throw it out there for some of u more experienced guys.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Cut Bait works for me all year around i not catch that many blues on live bait. I use cut bait all year long for big blue just different fish as cut bait. I always have 2 or 3 different baits out to start . They will let you know the bait of the day. winter time cut bait is the only way to go for big blues here in maryland .

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Tom right now its spring break, But school starts back next week..LOL :p

Here its around 55 or so. They will start stacking up and moving to the feed.
    but I think most times they are where the food is. And I can only hope that is soon.
    Also in Nov here they will move up near the dam. And we catch them for a few weeks on sauger jigs tiped with minows. And theres plenty of big blues caught using jigging spoons near the face of the dam all winter long.

As for the cut bait question. In cold weather here at Pickwick. Cut bait works well in cold weather nov to mid april. All that I can think of is the shad kills in the winter and they are feeding on the dead ones. And also lots of the mussel shells move down in cold weather.

PEte

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i think in the winter cut bait is best. fish are slowed down a bit and dont wont to chase a bait as fast as they will in warmer water.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fresh cutbait, brim or shad for bluecats and live brim for flatheads. Keep the cutbait fresh. I change mine every twenty minutes.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I agree with cut bait. As winter is coming I am looking forward to some big catches of blues In San Diego.