I have a ? about carp fishing.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kycatman01, Dec 25, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Do carp bite in cold water? Any info will br appreciated.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am sure some of the other guys would know more but, on a hunch, I am going to say yes. They have to eat year round so my thought s are you can catch them year round.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i was gonna ask the same question because thats about the only big game i can fish for in this town. i'm gonna try tomorrow and i'll let you know what i get.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I would say yes i see a guy on the river here who only fishes for carp and he was out last week when i was there so YES they do.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    there still biting in the brazos. folks have been catching them everyday in the area that i work.

6. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i'm in western pa, on the monongahela river and i've caught about five or six big ones every time the atmospheric temp goes over 50 degrees. don't know what the water temp is or if the carp bite on colder days, 50 degrees is when i feel comfortable going out.

i've switched to using french fries as bait. don't know if that's a better cold weather bait or not, but it's difinitely working. even caught a 19inch channel on them last week.

going out for carp friday noon, will post results.

good luck to y'all.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    yes they do.especilly the big buffs they bite best in october-december.

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I hear they go on feeding binges...may have something to do with the pressures and fronts coming through?

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You can catch them in cold weather but once the water temp. gets below 50* they become pretty non-active. It can be done but don't expect results like you would get in warmer weather.

10. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    They slow down around here, just like all other fish in the winter. There're not uncatchable, it seems that they bite more in mid-day, or at the height of the winter air temperture

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I used to fish for them years ago behind the Hiram Walker distillery in Peoria in the Illinois River. Of course they were dumping the mash into the river so I'm sure it was warm water coming out with the mash but always managed to catch them. Lost a good rod and reel there too. Looked like an arrow shot out of a bow when it went into the river.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Brothhers,

Carp can be caught 12 months a year. The thing you have to remember is that in the cold water months, they do not need to eat as much so if you chumm, you do not have to chum as much as if you were to fish in the summertime.

Also, carp can be easier to catch if you have a shallow canal near your river.

Good luck!!!

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    French fries; who da thunk?

Do they prefer McDonald's over Burgher King's?