I hate this

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by Little Luey, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just a few days after the SB and I am going thru football withdraws already. I miss football already, what will I do on sundays?!?!:crazy:

The pro bowl is not worth watching IMO since it is not a real game to me, too many drug enhanced players in baseball and basketball lost it's appeal to me, it is still not time to start fishing so I just may have to spend time with the wife.:smile2:

don't you guys hate that!

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m a hockey fan brother so there`s plenty to watch !!!!

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    Your not the only one Luey.
    :sad2:
    I just hate that time between the end of the Football Season & Spring Time Fishing. :0a23:
    :confused2:

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been keeping busy turning my garage into a garage and not just a place for everybodys junk.. Oh and I have went fishing a couple of times.. nothing to show for it but it was sweeet to get out on the water..

But Im really curious to see what is in store for my Colts this coming offseason and draft..

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    After Football season, I start fishing again usually small game like walleyes and striped bass. I also spend February shopping for the things I need for the upcoming catfish season.

The ProBowl is not a football game. No real hits, the QB is protected like Barack Obama, and they don't even attempt to block the field goal:eek:oooh:. I see more real hits in the Pop Warner championship game. It's more like FLAG FOOTBALL:wink::smile2:.

Hockey SUCKS, Indiana Hoosiers are horrible, and Pro Basketball deosn't appeal to me. I spend the spring, whole summer, and fall rootin for my beloved Philadelphia Phillies and hopefully they can bring us home another championship in 2009.

6. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    You don't think the NFL is full of drug enhanced players? I'd say they'd probably out number baseball players 10 to 1. Unlike Baseball, the NFL is smart enough not go to extremes to pry the lid of that box.

7. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I didn't say that.
    I think there are a ton of steroids using players in most sports, I still think every organisation has the right to test for wht they consired damaging. The NFL has a testing program, and a list of banned substances, a hot line where players can ask questions about certain product. Are they catching everyone who uses, maybe not.
    MLB has been reluctant to implement a real steroids testing program. I am not sure what you are talking about when you say the "NFL is smart enough not to go to extremes to pry the lid of the box". What box has MLB has taken the lid off, a case of GH?
    None of the players that have been accused of using have been punished or the MLB has never officially accused them, it has come from Canseco's book or any other players, never from MLB. What does that tell you about the integrity of the the MLB officials?
    When an NFL player gets caught using any banned substance they are suspended for a few games, and the public knows that same year. When a baseball player gets caught (years after the fact)they have a press conferance to deny anywrong doing only to have a nother one later on when they cannot hide it anymore to admit "mea culpa" and say they are sorry about the mistake they made this one time, years a go, without their knowledge. And cover it up with some kind of "I don't want the youth to copy me" speach and they think that should make it ok.
    I think A-rod saved a lot of people time and effort by admiting this time he did something and not continue the denials, like Barry Bonds, Roger Clements, Lance Armstrong or many others for instance. They will deny it until they are forced to admit it.

IMO MLB is just closing their eyes to the problem, other associations are doing some testing and making the results public. They may not catch everyone but it is a step in the right direction.

8. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    As far as I know the NFL isn't using congress to investagate drug use, because they know their players are using "ped's". They know if there was a federal investigation there'd probably be half the league involved. Why would they want their superstars brought out in public that they were using. They have a drug testing policy, but as far as I know it's not year round unless you have been caught before, so they know when to use them and when to get off of them. Think about it, of the two sports, MLB or NFL which one do you really think the players benefit more from by using PED's.

9. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MLB is not "using" congress to do absolutly nothing. Congress is investigating on it's own the allegations made by former MLB players about steroids. MLB knows their players have been using and does nothing about it but keep it in the down low.

Check this out, it is the MLB drug testing policy:
    http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/wp/docs/sports/mlbdrugpolicy05.pdf

page 9 talks about the confidentiality the clubs and players must keep. My question is WHY CONFIDENTIALITY? they claim this is the only way it would work, this is the one way they will keep having people pay for the seats. I will find the NFL policy in a minute.

10. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I never really looked in to drug testing results but I found some interesting stuff:

from the MLB link here
    http://www.draysbay.com/2009/1/9/715649/mlb-releases-report-on-200
    3486 tests were conducted on players who are on the 40 man roster for Major League clubs(my comment: how many total players are in the mlb?)

from the NFL link
    http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/01/25/nfl_strengthens_drug_policy/
    The number of players tested per team will increase from seven to 10 each week -- meaning there will be 12,000 tests each season, up from 10,000. The unpredictability of the year-round tests will be increased to address the perception of gaps in the testing periods. (my comment: so mlb had 3486 test done, while the nfl had 12,000 tests. Makes you wonder who is more serious about this stuff? don't it?

here is an interesting article on drug use, I admit it would never happen but is interesting reading.
    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...12?Title=Selig-gutless-on-MLB-steroid-testing

11. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I guess we will just have to disagree, I think the NFL by far has more PED users than baseball, and I really don't blame these athletes for using them. If I was a professional athlete and PED's would help me play for a couple more years, or shorten my recovery from injury, I'd probably chance using them.

12. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am thinking that the NFL player needs to be faster and stronger than the MLB player, I can see how your way of thinking. I also think that football is a sport where not alot of stats are created, no more than baseball anyway. There are stats for positional players but compared to baseball where the first thing you see is batting % or stikeouts vs. balls.

I am not saying the drug use is only happening in MLB. I know it happens in every sport, everytime you are competing against another player being stronger, or faster can mean the difference between making $100,000 or $10,000,000 a year.
    Where I disagree with you is where you say that the ratio of drugies is 10:1. How did you come up with that since there is confidentiallity?
    If they test less than the nfl they will come up with less positive results, it is a game of percentages. And the comment about the nfl not doing anything about it. I believe and I am showing you with these links who really does the most testing in their own sport.

There is a movie out called, Bigger, Stronger, faster. Here is a clip of it, enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nOKJTL6Tg&feature=related

13. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

We are cool Trevor, thanks for commenting.

If you could show me what you think is true...

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Put the U.S. Anti Doping Agency in charge of professional sports testing. If it is good enough for the Olympics it is good enough for the NFL and MLB.

15. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Personally, I think just by the nature of the two sports PED's would make a lot more sense that you'd have more users in the NFL than in MLB, heck just look at the nature of the two sports. As far as I know a lot of these HGH's aren't detectable so most players I'd say are probably using those. Only the dumb ones get caught using steriods (ie, Shawn Merriman). Also in the NFL, contracts aren't guranteed so a lot of these guys are gonna do whatever they can to stay on the field. When I said the number of users was 10 to 1 vs. baseball, that was just a guess, but I wouldn't be suprised if 70-80% of NFL players had used PED's at one time or another, but I think they mostly use it to help them recover from injuries quicker, or to keep up with the younger guys coming in, because in the NFL people are always looking for you replacement. So you have to be productive and you have to stay on the field.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, after the SB, it's slow time,,, I don't watch anything except football, so, will have to wait it out.:tounge_out: