I hate armadillos!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rednecksportsman511, Mar 29, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Any of y'all ever been huntin and heard what ya thought was a deer crashin thru the woods towards ya, but it was a dillo? In one day, three of the lil boogers came crashin around the stand i was in. One time I was so sure it was a deer, i already had the rifle stickin out the window of the tripod i was in........then a dumb ole armadillo walked out. Ive almost run over one on a 4wheeler, thing was no more than a foot from my tires, and the thing just sat there.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I almost ran over a skunk while mountain biking, man was that a scary (not stinky, TG) event for the two of us. but we dont have dillos here just squirrels. Lots and lots of squirrels. Their so noisy you dont hear the deer coming.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have seen a few dead armordillos sqaushed on the side of the highways in Georgia but never seen a live one. I thought that I read somewhere is that you can eat them but I am not for sure, I think it would be like eating a opossum.

chris

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    a diller on the pit is fine eatin indeed! been years since ive eaten one though. last i heard they give you leprosy or something. anyone know fer sure?

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Armadllo's are half blind and half deaf, so sneakin up on them and catching them is a blast. Just watch out for those hind claws, they will rip you a new one if the ever connect.
    Yes they are quit good on the grill(possum on the Half shell). I think that the leparosy thing is an old wise tale!!!

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    A .300 Win Mag or a 45-70 make real quick work of them and if you find any then try eating what is left...LOL

7. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    never heard of anyone eatin the rascals, i might just hafta shoot me one

8. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Armadillos's have a low body temperature therefore they are natural biological carriers of Leprosy. During the depression they were consumed by hungry citizens and thus Leprosy outbreaks became more prevalent, at that time they were called "Hoover Hogs" because they were being eaten.

Because of their habits as ground dwellers and prolific excavaters they can also cary Anthrax.

Please do not joke about eating them because they are natural carriers of deadly diseases.

If your pets bite, licks an armadillo or get its blood in its mouth and later licks you it can transfer disease to you.

I would appreciate a professional adding a comment on this because this subject deserves serious commentary.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Shoot them all I will cross 3 lanes of on comming traffic just to run over one with my truck I can not stand those darn things at all. That is the only animal I will kill just to kill.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well let's see Fish have a low body temp and so do reptiles like turtles and snakes, but it seems to be ok to eat those, LOL!!!

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    JW I will draw the line at possum on the Half shell, possum is one greasy animal to cook....LOL got to watch my Cholesterol

12. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    well when you been in your stand all day and ain't seen nothing and a diller steps out of the brush it turns out to be his last mistake because he just became a moving pratice target....lol

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yea, I can relate what you are talking about. Dead ringer for my ex-wife.

14. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I shot armadillos when younger with a 22 but now I can't believe yall want to shoot one with a real gun. you can kill one with a stick, backbone attached to shell, whap their back hard and they fall over. you can set in the woods and run one all over by tossin sm pebbles around, it will chase the sound thinkin it is a bug.
    I have heard they carry leprosy, all I know, its white meat (like chicken) and taste like chicken when fried. oh, it sounds like chicken when frying.(ha)
    they will jump up 5 or 6 ft high when startled!
    been a long time but I remember it was good!

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    At the farm I kill every one I see, the reason... they are bad to dig in the yard. 12 ga works great.

Wife and I chased one last year on the ATV out in the pasture, it ran in a hole and I shot it with the pistol. I would like to seen someone out run that one. ;)

In TX, I was always told not to kill them for they kill rattle snakes.. this I've never witness. :rolleyes:

The straight dope about Armadillo's and Leprosy.

16. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have never even seen one, but thats because I live in Az. How big do they get?

17. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    u were lucky a skunk can only spray once every 10 days you crossed paths with a skunk with a empty stink sac:sick-big:

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Wolf I am doing every thing I can to put them in decline. I got 2 yesterday one with the truck and one with a .338 Win Mag. Love to see those things explode¬Ö..LOL

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The only thing more fun to shoot than a dillo is a house cat! At 100 yard or so a 22-250 is an amazing sight to behold, you don't have to clean'um and for me, season is open year round.

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Man becareful I am not a cat lover but there are quite a few here on the site and there are somethings better left along.