I had an interesting morning

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by vetrock, Jun 26, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I set out a couple of trotlines yesterday. This morning I caught a
    blue which in turn was swallowed by a flathead. The hook is still in
    the blue cat. I had to unclip the leader to get the fish in the ice
    chest.

Together they weighed 13 lbs. I took a couple of pictures, and will attempt to post them later.

2. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I'd LOVE to see that!!! :big_smile:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on two species at ane time. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

4. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Here's the pic of the about 1 lb blue in the 12 lb flathead's mouth. I had to cut the flatties stomach open to retrieve the hook out of the blue's mouth.

Attached Files:

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    thats the best catfishing story i`ve heard i a long time! that will be around for a long time! get-er-done!:wink:

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i want to be the first redneck to ask this. did you clean both fish? nice catch by the way. welcome to the BOC.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Gotta love twofers. :big_smile::eek:oooh:

8. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Nah. The Blue was half digested. I got my hook back and then threw him away.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a very interesting story, thanks for sharing with us.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    this kind of reinforces the fact that big fish catch bigger fish. i put a pound and a half crappie on a 14/0 shark hook one night and let it swim around below a dam in oklahoma . my buddy swore nothing would eat my bait. 25 minutes latter he was looking for a dip net.

11. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I've heard some people say that when you're fishing, sometimes you have to think like a fish.

I've gotta admit I wonder what that fish was thinking when he swallowed the blue and got hooked himself!!!

12. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I caught 13 catfish and 2 walleye all totaled in 4 days of running 2 lines. Got for 1 lb freezer bags full of filets. Filleted a few of the bigger perch that I caught while trying to catch bait too.

I figured out in this particular place on the Saline, flatheads went for the bigger bait such as other cats or hand sized perch. The walleyes, blues and channels preferred the minnows.

Well, at least this time that's what they liked.....It will probably change again next week.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i like reading bout peoples fish and i also eat some of my fish that said ive heard that parts of the saline have pcbs and mercury contaminates in it.is this true or have i been led astray.

14. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Unfortunately most waterways are contaminated with dioxin, mercury, pcb's, and other industrial chemicals which bio accumulate up the food chain. Most large warm water fish Im sure have some degree of contamination. Thats why its just better to eat the small ones and leave the big ones to go on their way. In alaska the salmon accumulate mercury out at sea and then swim upriver to die contaminating pristine areas with mercury when they decompose. Sad world, huh?

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Two for one sounds like a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing

16. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I read somewhere (it might have even been from the AR Game & Fish website) that some fish do not absorb as much of these contaminants as others.

17. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Yeah, there is a warning at most boat ramps saying don't eat the flatheads, channel etc, and only bass twice a month.

That being said, the warning has been around since the 80's and I know of no confirmed cases of mercury poisoning. Basically, it's much ado about nothing.

If someone ate fish from the saline every day, then I could see where it would be an issue. We eat it 1-2x/month at most, so I never worry about it.

18. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I caught a perch one time that got swallowed by a 4pound bass on the way in. That was a real fight on an ultralight!
    I also caught a perch once that got swallowed by a watermoccason on the way in. I let the snake have him.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that just shows ya flats will take big baits.

20. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I gigged a frog with a snake attached once. That was a fright. Thankfully we had the type of gig that grabs, so it was easier to let him go.