I had an idea that I thought I would share

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by smhmc6, Aug 2, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to use those 8" glow sticks that you can get from Wild Wolf Products for night fishing. In the past I've just used scotch tape to hold them on my rods. That works great, but when I run out of tape I always forget to run to walmart to get more tape. I end up trying to tie them on with fishing line or whatever I have... which is pretty hard to do if you have fat fingers like me. Anyway an idea just hit me, you guys probably already do this and I'm the last to know, but I thought I'd share it just in case someone doesn't know. I am going to use the bracelet connectors that come in the pack and I am going to use electrical tape to permanently attach one of those to the end of my rod (we'll see how permanent they stay on the next time I'm fishing in the rain, but the electrical tape should hold up pretty well). When it comes time to change out a new glow stick I'll just slide a new one into the connection. Simple and it seems to work pretty good so far.

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    That works good Steve. I did that exact thing to my wife's (Black) rods 2 years ago, and there still holding up good. I found some glow in the dark paracord, and re-wrapped the handles on a couple of my (White) rods. Keeps me from tripping over them.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the tip. Sounds like it will work well

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Glow in the dark paracord? That sounds fancy:smile2:. You'll have to show me that at the gathering. I just wrapped my handles with paracord too, but I used black. Pretty pleased with the results.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i use small zip ties to hold mine on. i dont use the connectors though. i tighten the zip tie down enough to hold good but when i need to use a new one i can take it out and replace. if a glow stick aint needed the zip tie stayes on the rod and dont do any harm. trim the tail of the zip tie.

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use the bracelet connectors also on my one black pole. I attached them with electrical tape also. Like Ray, mine have been on for 2 years and haven't come off yet.

Attached Files:

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I knew I was the last to know:smile2:. Good to know it seems to work well though.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You've never noticed mine that way?:tounge_out::smile2:
    Been doin it that way since I started using them. Works great.

9. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i never thought of doin that, think im gonna give it a try.

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the tip

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Kyle, you and Ashley hooked me up on them green glosticks and attached
    them to my rods with zip ties and black electrical tape. Both methods worked
    well for me and now I have my own stash of those glosticks. They are
    some of the best things I've picked up from being on this site! Gonna start
    using them on my FatCat foam bobber this week at Tuttle Outlet. Should
    be exciting if Mr Whiskers shows up for the party too!

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Electrical tape for the most part is waterproof, I dont know about keeping it under the water or anything, but it will cover what we need to do with it.

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Keith uses zip ties, I use electrical tape. I like that its has strech so I can wrap it tight. It also holds up well after I put it through he!!.:smile2:
    I keep some anyways for band aids.:cool2::smile2:

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kyle, I never noticed you do that. I guess I never thought to notice, probably just figured everyone used scotch tape like I used to :smile2:. I catch on slow sometimes, but I catch on. Got any more secret tips you aren't sharing with me? Haha.

You should have seen me a couple weeks ago when I ran out of tape. I tried using power pro to tie them glow sticks on for 15 min. before I realized that I always cut the old ones off and put them in the outside pouch of my tackle bag. I throw them in there so I don't leave them on the bank. I scrounged up some used tape off the old ones that got me through that night. Well at least I have a system now that I won't have to worry about that anymore.

15. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    I lose focus alot so I use the bells, they have worked great so far......... I found a guy at the Topeka farmers market who makes these awsome pole holders for $5. They hold the pole in very well so I don't have to rush when the "dinner" bell rings.:wink::smile2:

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I use rubber bands, they work pretty well too, until the heat and sun dry-rot them out. I have a constant supply of them at work with the number of blueprints I receive daily.

Them darn bells and me don't get along to well, I always forget to take them off when I cast........you can hear the ring getting fainter and fainter...then splash! Can't tell you how many of those durn things I have lost!:confused2:

17. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You should throw some bubble gum in your tackle jus in case, :smile2: