I had a huge catfish! WOW!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jerellman, May 26, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Went out to my favorite lake today at around 6:00 am today. I cast out my crawler around 6:30am and had a bite in about 3 minutes. I set the hook and it started runnin! I mustve had a 20+ pound channel on the other end of my line, it pulled me all the way to the other side of the peninsula i was fishing off of (i was bank fishing) and then all of a sudden he stopped running... 5 minutes later i find out from another fisherman that there was a big drop off 5 feet away from shore and that the fish was hiding behind it. So i get into the water and put my rod tip right above the drop off and then i find out that there was a seaweed bush right below the surface of the water where my fish was! The line got tagnled in the weed and i tried to get it out for like an hour cause i really wanted this fish! And then the worst thing that could possibly happen happened! The cat tried one last shot at getting free and then it snapped my line!!!:angry: I stood there for about 30 seconds and then I started to get mad. I rebaited and casted out in the same spot. Didnt get any hits for the rest of the day :0a4: and i couldnt sleep a wink.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Gotta hate that!
    Oh well, as they say...that is why it is called "fishing" not "catching".

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It happens to the best of us, better luck next time.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I hate it when that happens...

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thats what keeps me comin back

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Look at the brite side - you know that fish is still there. :0a23:

You will get him (or her) the next time - but now you know about one of area they like to go to when hooked, and you will keep it away from that area. :smile2:

That happens to every fisherman at lease once in they fishing lifetime - even all of the ones on TV.
    (Think about it:roll_eyes: )

So you take it easy & get some sleep (lol),
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sorry you didn't land him. I can feel your heartbreak from here. It happens to us all....

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    We all remember the time (s) that has happened to us....

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I would bet any amount of money that I've learned just as much or more from losing a fish as I have from catching a fish. The ones you lose always tell you something about what you can do to prevent it from ever happening to you again. Line, Snags,Drag, take what he showed you and learn from it. Then go back and hook him again or better yet his older brother.

10. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It keeps me coming back knowing there are fish there.

11. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thats the great challenge of it. well mistakes happen and i say you should learn from em. you never know, you could catch him again. also dont get mad, get happy that you were fishing something right for once unlike me. lol:lol:

12. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Had that happen a few times actually. They seem to always find the nearest structure that'll break your line. Especially when you don't have a clue that the structure is there.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sorry you missed a big fish bro, it happens. Just look at the bright side, he will be bigger next time you go out there.