I guess I need a boat...

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Everybody is now telling me I need a boat to hit the river to catch some good size fish. I grew up on a very large lake and have been out on a couple size boats. I think the boats I've been in would be super rinky dink for the James. In reality what is a good size boat? I don't think a "john boat" would really be anything to fish in, maybe a lake or pond? I don't know.
    Any information would help.
    I live near Osbourn boat landing and Deep Bottom park. I do see boats for sale on Rt 5, they seem a little large. I would only want enough to get by with for day fishing.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    In all honesty any boat under 16ft would be to small for me here on the Ohio River. Keep in mind that no matter what size boat you get it will always be 2' short of your needs, LOL!!! It is called twofootitis!!!
    You need aboat that "you" will be able to fish out of comfortabley. What size boat would you be more at ease in?

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    a catfishing guide thats a friend of mine for our needs as catfisherman with shadtanks ( bait tanks) and other gear thats big anchors , coolers , live wells ect that a 20 to 24 ft john is best with deep sides. i own a 22ft rivercat classic SEA ARK its 8 feet wide with 28 inch deep sides. most lowe ,tracker and other brand of john boats have 16 to 21 inch sides in the 14 to 18 ft boats. if your thinking of buying new give steve brown a call 660-438-3135 he has desinged a catfishing boat that SEA ARK is building. if buying used boat take your time and find what you want they are out there. also i would go with a welded boat and not rivetted with at least 100 gauge material. SEA ARK is 125 gauge material.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

You haven't checked out Jon boats lately my friend!

A big Jon in the 20 to 24 ft range is an ideal Catfishing boat, especially on the BIG rivers! They are WIDE. LONG, BIG as a BARGE and ROCK SOLID STABLE, you can even stand on the gunwale and those baby's don't hardly flinch! If you want to feel comfortable on the big water, a Big Jon will fit the bill!

Check them out! Another point to make is carpet is no good when catfishing, I guarantee you'll trash it!

Good Luck!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I got the twofootitis bad, probably will bankrupt me one day. I fight it like heck everytime I drive by a boat dealership. I currently fish out of a 16 foot lowe jon pushed by a 35 yamaha. Dream Boat is a 20 foot Lund Alaskan. The Lunds are aluminum. I fished the Mississippi a bunch in one with a pal in St Louis when I lived there. True v Hull cuts the rough water like a knife with none of the pounding a jon gives you.

Until that day comes my 16 foot Lowe is where it's at. I have had it for 8 years purchased used for $1,200. I haven't spent a dime on it and knock on wood she runs like a bat out of you know where. I can fish anywhere above Presquille just fine except for bad wind days blowing over 15 mph. I wouldn't want to be fishing in any boat when its windy any way. It stinks being blown all over the place at anchor.

The point I am making is you don't have to break the bank to enjoy boat fishing. Get what you can afford and have fun. Hope to see you on the river

6. gotbait

gotbait New Member

State:
    VA
    What you can afford is the big hurdle. An expensive boat doesn't catch more cats, just more grief from the wife. Most of my clients love the boat they bought after realizing bigger boats cost more to buy, insure, TOW, fuel, rig, and time to maintain and clean... Safety being key, my suggestion would be 17 ft., 22 in. transom. welded aluminum. Wind not withstanding, you have traffic measured in tonnage (big wake).Check the Tradin' Post for a lot of choices.

7. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    you can get by in a 14-18ft. jon.

i have a 17 alum. bass boat, i get by. it's not that wide.

i got a great deal on it, i can fish rivers and small lakes both.

only a 40 hp, and if you don't run it full throttle, gas isn't that bad.

my father in law has a 14 ft jon, modified. the benches were cut out and a floor put in. running on a 15hp. does great and has alot of floor space.

vaughn

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You can make alot of boats work for you. I've seen jons and ski boats and bowriders modified into nice cat rigs. A decent size jon and you can fish the DB loop and above relatively safely, although I wouldn't feel comfortable fishing the big water around JP on a windy day. And of course it only takes one jackbass to wake you. If you find something you like, post a pic of it on here and I'm sure you'll get some good advice on whether or not we feel it would be safe and effective.

If I was local to the river, I would get a big Carolina Skiff 20+ft with at least 150hp on the back. But towing is a concern for me so it's only a dream.

9. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    get a carolina skiff they work very well and are good priced

10. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    It depends on where you want to fish and I fish small and big waters from lake st clair to lake erie,james river to small electric motor lakes.I have a 18 foot fisher deep v it has been in 6 footers on erie and strong current and wind on the james and I have had no problem except like the one post said carpet is not good for catfishing I have to take a power washer to it alot.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hope you slime her good when you get back over here. They are snapping right now and will only get better through March.

12. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i have a late 70's ebbtide trihull that we modified. put a platform on the front seats to cast a net from and took the factory seats out of the back and replaced with a couple simple seats to make more room for fishing. not the best boat in the world by far but very useable and not very expensive. it has a 70 evinrude that has been a decent motor. point is go with what you can afford and have fun. the fish do not seem to mind what kind of boat you feed them from. now if i can just get my alarm clock to sound like my bait clicker . good luck on a boat.

13. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Alot of good points, I'll be bank fishing for awhile for sure. As far as me getting a boat its not going to happen tomorrow. I do see all kinds of boats down at Osbourne Boat landing so thats at least a start for ideas.

14. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a 17ft Tracker Grizzly. Took it down to flowerdew a couple of times, does great. It is for sale on this board in the classified section. It's set up for catfishing, which is about 75% of what I do.

15. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Before I got my 17' triumph, I would fish the james from the pump house at the deep bottom loop all the way to the city in a 16'john boat with a 1972 9.5 hp evinrude on the back... Just had to be careful with the bigger boat traffic and don't venture past deep bottom. If you fish dutch gap to cith ,, heck why not use a jon boat,, heck your on the river right. Just watch out fot the bigger boat traffic. If I saw one comming I would pull anchor and reposition to absorb the wake better. You just have to use common sense when in a jon boat....:eek:oooh:

16. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a 17ft Starcraft deep hull with DC. It rides really great in rough water and with the DC and full wind shield, the ride is great in cold weather. The carpet is hell to clean though.....

17. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    David, don't listen to what these guys are saying...you know, all this stuff about "twofootitis" and big, expensive boats.

Get you a nice sit-on-top angler kayak like this one, http://www.heritagekayaks.com/redfish12angler.htm, and hit the river.

If you shop well, you can hit the river completely equiped for around $1,200.

You think it's too small for a mighty river? Come on out to the beach and we'll do some surf fishing on the Atlantic! :wink:

18. Batman74

Batman74 Guest

Hey wbtfish send me some info on that Tracker. I might be interested in it. Thanks.