I gotta Umbrella Net

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by DemolitionMan, Jul 14, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Soon to be Pickwick Dam bound...Now what????Providing I can get someone to tell me the best way to use the net in current....I've read where someone said to tie a weight to the net, but didn't say what the best/oz of the weight should be....I know it depends on the current, but I'd kinda like to get it right the first time....Any suggestions????Dwight

2. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

State:
    w.va.
    i just always put a rock in mine but i perfer a cast net

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Yeah, that would work....I had the idea of pouring about a lb or two of lead in a skillet and making a flat weight to throw in there....Thanks for the info....Dwight

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I used one in the brackish creeks of the Chesapeake bay. When the tide was running, it was easier to catch the chubs by putting salt on their tale. Worked good at the hour before and after low tide. Tried the weight idea, it didn't work in a current... the net would tip and the rock fall out. Think you'd have the same problem if it was fastened to the net...the current will still make the net tip. Best bet is to find some calm water sheltered from the current.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    AwShucks,

I'll consider the calm water thing when I go to pickwick....May be easier to get a dipnet....That's what everybody was using at the dam when I went....We actually bought the net to use in my son-in-law's pool he raises minnows/crawfish in......Dwight

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My only experience at catching shad in a tail water was at Kaw Lake in northern Oklahoma. I had my cast net, and was catching a few. The old timers were using their landing nets, which must have a a 2 or 4 inch mesh. They'd just sweep it through the water and the shad flew onto the bank. So, I started doing that. Then for some reason, all the shad just disappeared and I haven't caught one shad there in about two years...course I have only gone about 3 times in those two years. LOL

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Be sure to use a strong nylon rope to assure that you don't lose your net. I prefer to use my umbrella net in creeks to catch my bait.:0a23:

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I use my umbrella net in creeks too.
    I've even baited it and come back an hour later.
    Works pretty well if you are in a hurry.
    I like traps better.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks fellas for the info....I think the wall at pickwick will be slow enough to handle it...I hope....There's millions of shad running/huggin the walls at pickwick....All the creeks is almost dried up around here....It's a good idea though.....Dwight

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    To be really effective, the umbrella net has to be pulled straight up. If you can let it down, get it to stay in place long enough for bait to swim over it, then pull it up, you'll catch fish with it. Another way to use one (for bream/minnows) is to place the net in a suitable location with crackers, bread, etc. to attract the baitfish. Occasionally lift up the net. If you can't get above the net, you can throw the line over a limb so you get a vertical lift. Or, you can use a long pole to lift the net out of the water.

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info, jtrew....Yeah, I also bought me a small fish trap and found out I couldn't use it....It's against the law to trap gamefish in Mississippi.....I'll have to check, but I don't think Carp are a gamefish...I'll have to go with them for bait.....Dwight

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i never had any luck with the umbrella net for shad or in current. i string on a piece of pany hose with bread in it and let it sit. when the fathead minnows are spawning, i walk along the culverts and drag it about 10 feet behind me and do pretty good.
    the nets i have consist of four separate steel rods that fit between two metal discs. the discs come apart every now and then and the net comes apart. i think i will weld the rods to the discs to prevent this.