I got two 427 cu in chevy motors today

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by chambers bd, Mar 17, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    I got two blocks, four heads an intake both blocks are 4 bolt main and came out of two log trucks. I hope to make a engine for a pick up or maybe a hot rod.

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Did someone say big block? Whatever you decide to build one for it will be fun. You would be lucky to find just one around here let alone two of them.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    So you you think it will make a good engine for a pick up, Think I should change the stoke to get more h/p?

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    427 tall blocks . you can make a lot of ci with them.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Yes they have to be redone but Its a really nice gift from my father in law.
    My bet is they will make a great engine!

6. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    im not sure but i think the big truck motors have a taller deck height which means you need a different intake and a longer distributor than the regular 427s that come from cars and pickups. if im wrong someone that knows chime in.

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    You can make gobs of HP if they are tall deck blocks. The tall decks are preferred if making a stroker motor out of them. I would assume they are tall decks since they came out of logging trucks. Get the casting numbers off of the bell housing area and I can tell ya what you're dealing with. A common stroker build for the motor would be to put a 4.25" stroke crank in it and bore it .060" for a 496ci. Yes it will need a tall deck intake. Some aftermarket tall deck intakes are machined to accept a standard deck distributor. You can also get a slip coller distributor that will fit standard or tall deck.

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Ill get those numbers in the morning, A 496 stoker sounds nice!:big_smile:

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Check the casting #'s, that should be a tall deck (10.2"). Keep that in mind when you go to ordering parts. That will make a nice big cube stroker. A 496 is a torque monster. Heres some casting #'s to help ya find out what ya got.
    340220 1968-76 Four Bolt, Tall deck
    364776 1974-76 " "
    473478 1977-90 " "
    3955276 1968-73 " "
    3969858 1968-73 " "
    3999295 1968-73 " "
    My sources are inconsistant on the years, but they are pretty close.

10. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Brian;

Those are the Best 427 Moters GM ever made in my opinion. What I did with them back when I was racing and Tractor Pulling was to Bore them out .125 and use the Crank that came in them as those Cranks are Forged Cranks, Not Cast Cranks. It is the same crank spec wise as those in a 396 Chev Car motors. With the crank that is in them and a overbore of .125 it will be a 453 CI. The rods are .400 longer than a Car motor as the Block is .400 Tall. The longer the rod the better Rod angularity and is less prone to throw a rod if you turn some serious RPMs. You can put a regular car intake off of a 396, 427, and 454 with the use of Spacer Plates that are available in the aftermarket.
    The motors I built were Blower Motors and had alum Rods that were .600 long and I ran .200 Down Pistons. I ran 871 Blowers and Enderle Birdcatcher injector with Alcohol 54% overdrive and Motors dynoed 1400 HP. On the Dragstrip and Pulling Tracks we turned the motors 10000 RPM and never broke a motor. Of coursr everything was balance to the Cats meow.
    Great Motor. Good luck with whatever you do with them. You can see my Dragster and VW Beetle Pulling rig I used to exhibition with at www.akwolf.com and click on "Hobbies". Both rigs ran these motors.

Best of luck on some Good Pieces:

Gene

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Awwww man, that is one of my favorite engines, and the 327 being my favorite in a small block. Those were some bad boys back in the 60s and tough as briers. You got a winner in that 427 and you are going to looooove it.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    one block has 3g where the bell housing fits on to the motor

the other says 3b
    and truck hi - perf

13. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    The casting # will be on the drivers side, top, rear of the block, on top of the bell housing flange, right to the rear of the #7 cylinder. The casting date will be in the same location on the passenger side of the block to the rear of the # 8 cylinder.

14. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    ill look there in the morning.:big_smile:

15. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    BLOCK 1
    HI - PERF
    TRUCK
    PASS

A

BLOCK 2

3-2-81

16. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I dunno Brian, its a mystery to me. I've searched my BBC books and the www. The only one even close to the casting number you gave is on block # 1, 3916319, 1968 to 1985, 366 ci, 3.935" bore, tall deck truck. I cant find any reference to 3946319, or 14022660. Most of the 140 series blocks are listed as 454's, and the only 394 series blocks I can find are the all too precious ZL-1 aluminum block 427's ( I wish you were so lucky-LOL) Sorry bud, I'm all out of resources, let me know what you find out.

17. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I too came up empty handed with those numbers. Maybe check the numbers again as the can sometime be difficult to tell what some are. Also see if you can get some numbers off of the heads. The number will be located on the top where the valve springs are.

18. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Brian:

I can't seem to locate those #s either. Post the Head Casting #s and let's see what that brings up. The "Truck Hi Perf" Block will be a 427 Tall Block I am sure Just make sure they both have the same Bore and Post what it is. You might have a 366 Tall block for one motor maybe.

Gene

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am amazed that two of these engines can be found in 1 location. Great engine with a marveled history! Congrats!

20. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    [you would really be amazed at my bbc collection then!!]]] did you get the #s off the pad behind the alternator? i can look it up by them if you havent figured it out from the casting #yet.