I got the james river blues

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Reel_Blues, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well here it is we put in at deep bottom around 3:30 am. We wanted to get an early start beening as it was our first time using a gil net. We set the net the first time caught 1 cutter but got the net hung up on a log and took us about 30 mins. to get it loose.:angry:Had to set the net 4-5 more times finally caught enough to fish ended up with 10 cutters. We only caught one citation a 30lber and 4 dinks a couple 7lbs a 10lb and a 12lb.Was hoping to have a better day but just couldnt get on any big fish.Sorry i cant upload my pics it says the demisions of my pics are to big and have to be manually adjusted.:angry::angry: I will try to figure out how to do that and post them here later.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the report Roger. Thats why one of these days would like to make a trip there. That's a good trip for most places:cool2:.

3. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    waiting on a gill net myself. thanks for the post. hope to be up that way soon ti give it a try.

4. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    isnt it a lot more fun just using a rod and reel. What is a cutter and what is a citation? Im just curious.

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cutter is a big gizzard shad and a citation is a 30+lber blue.

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    they actually make gill nets specifically for Big shad. I have often wondered if you could get a net like that! When my uncle and I go blue fishing we like to fish with what you like to call big cutters. lots of times we can only find smaller shad. do you get these big shad often in these nets? I would consider gettin one if it getsum. How long do you have to leave these nets out by the way. Sorry so many questions im just kinda excited to read about this. These nets withstand the thrashin of a 30 pounder to.

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yes they do catch cutters and we were letting our net soak for about 15-20 mins. But it all depends all how thick the bait is in the area. If you leave it to long you could be spending a long time taking out bait that you dont need.And i dont mind answering your questions thats what this site is all about.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

8. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    The gill nets stand up to a lot. I have seen and heard of people pulling up 15 pound carp with them along with lots of big gizzard shad up to about 3 pounds (cutters). Like Reel Blues said though, if you soak the net too long, you will spend a long time removing shad from your net. I have seen a 75 foot long net fill up with 30 or more cutters in about 10 - 15 minutes! We don't leave them in the water long!!!

9. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've had many 40+lb blues and monster gar in my nets. Most of the cats had one of the shad in the net in there mouths.LOL They dont mess them up to bad. You jus have to take your time getting them out!:wink: Dont go to far from your net if you got small weights you may have to chase it down one day...

10. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    OR your net may even dissappear....lol.....go under. A few weeks ago I had a 20 lb blue, a 10 lb blue, a 48 inch gar, 3 shad, and several small blue in my net.....what a mess.....we had got several shad out and here come the 20 lber.....my fishing buddy got the blue out and tossed him back out and right into the net he went ...lol....what little net we had in the boat was pulled out quickly and net is out of site.....couldn't see the floats at all.

I ran the boat parallel to the net and threw out a line, hooked it the first time and pulled it to the boat......thought for sure that net was gone...

Jerry

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sounds like you had a grand 'ol time that day!:smile2:

12. ITSBIGT

ITSBIGT New Member

State:
    VA
    Roger we ended up catching a 52,40,32,27,22,17,and some small ones

13. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Man nothing like it...lol

Jerry

14. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thomas sounds like you guys had a pretty good day did you get any pics? Also are you guys going back this weekend?

15. ITSBIGT

ITSBIGT New Member

State:
    VA
    yes roger..we go every wkend both days....just call me anytime man

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cool Thomas will do.

17. ITSBIGT

ITSBIGT New Member

State:
    VA
    what day and time are yall going??

18. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sat. probably put in around 4:30-5:00am. But not sure where were fishing yet.