I got the Badin Lake Blue catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Itzakeeper, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Itzakeeper

Itzakeeper New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went down to badin friday night hunting for some big blues,and my hunt was successful. Went up to the damn and netted a bunch of shad,baited some of my noodles for some jug fishing,went and anchored up. Caught a few channels while watching the noodles when all of a sudden I seen one go under and the fight was on !! From around 7:30pm to 10:00pm two coolers were full. Ended up with 15 cats 8 blues and 7 channels. The channels ranged from 2lbs.- 8lbs. Had 5 big blues 18.6 lbs,25.4 lbs.,32.6 lbs.,15lbs. and 16.7 lbs. The big grandaddy got away. we got him up beside the boat but could'nt get him in the net or grab him. He looked like he'd top 50 + lbs easy!!! At least we got to see him. Trying to get pics on but computer is acting up on me.. Can't wait to go back...........

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Now if you were fishing with rod and reel and caught those fish I would say good fishing. It don't any skill catching cats on juglines. Thats way my opinion of them is so low. Maybe in afew years they will outlaw juglines, trotlines and limblines.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on catching all those fish. Sounds like a good night. Jugs, Noodles, rod and reel, either way those are nice kitties.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have to disagree with you Tomahawk. I have seen many people get hooked on fishing because of juglines. Where rod and reels would not have provided the steady excitement that kids have to have, jugs have come through. If not for them, the people would have probably lost patience and thought fishing could not possibly be for them. Maybe it kept them off the streets long enough to make a difference. That seems better than losing a few trophy fish to the "freezer" to me.

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    im big on cpr but i say if your fishing wether it be by jugs limb yo yo or whatever and doing it legally and your having fun keep on doing what your doing dont let the fish go to waste and dont let anyone tell you your catch isnt as important as being on rod and reel

6. CATCHUP

CATCHUP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Looks Like You Have Over 100lbs Of Fish To Eat.would It Not Be Better To Just Keep A Couple Each Time You Go .that Way You Would Only Be Eating Fresh Fish And There Would Not Be Any Watse Because Of Freezer Burn Etc.just Wondering?

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Those fish weigh 100 lbs. but when you fillet them out they will not even be half that. Depends on how many people they're planning on feeding.

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The main reason I look is this. I consider catfish a gamefish. There's no sport in juglining. Any idiot can threw out a jug and it watch float down river. Jugliners and trotliners are a serious pain in butt when Iam out there. They run up and down the river all night causing waves and comotion. Thats one of the reasons I don't fish much during the weekends. Just look at what all the jugliners, trotliners and commerical guys have done to Santee. Over the years they have decimated that lake. You hardly hear about any big ones being caught any more. I wonder why. You want to earn respect of other fisherman, go out there with rod and reel and catch some big fish. It just takes time and patience but it pays off in the long run. As for eating those fish. Well I sure wouldn't, the state even recommands not eating them because of the mercury levels. OH wait a minute ingore that, eat all you want, the more the marrier.

9. CATCHUP

CATCHUP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    With You All The Way Tomahawk I Only Practice Catch And Release .if Want Fish To Eat I Go To A Fish House . That Way My Kids Will Have Fish To Catch.to Many People Just Dont Care About The Future Of Fishing.just How Many Fish They Can Take.

10. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Your right on Thomahawk. You forgot to mention those @^&* spotlights.

11. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I simply don't see any sport in useing these methods. There is more skill involved in launching a boat than fishing with jugs, etc. Sport fishing in Rod & Reel, period.

12. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I'm with the rod and reel guys. The jug fishing isn't sporting, isn't nearly as challenging, and it usually is going to end up with a lot of dead fish. Either in the cooler or on the line. I am all for keeping a couple to eat, but be reasonable, you don't need 100 lbs. of fish (before of after filleting them).

To each their own, but I don't like the non rod and reel methonds.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i also think jugging is a bad method of fishing. seem every time i go to the lake there is jugs along the banks and i find jugs left in the water with fish on them alot of times. ive seen catfish float trot lines to the top from being dead on them at santee. i have jugged in my past but i can tell you one thing. there is nothing like the enjoyment of have a big boy on the rod and reel. the best thing is after i get the pictures i see that fish swim off for another day. ive had days at badin where 5 fish would weigh 150lbs on rod and reel. also had days where my dad and i caught 400-500lbs on rod and reel at badin and all these fish where released. as for the ones that think jugging is good for kids well my son has seen some nice fish on jugs but i never seen him smile like he did in april with his 18lber on rod and reel. now he wants to fish!!!!!!

14. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't see the skill in fishing/hunting with _______. The _____method should be outlawed. If you don't fish/hunt the way I like, you are sorry. Seen the this same post about Bass, Trout, Stripper, Trot Lines, Jugs, Bait, Artificles, Flys, Spinning Reels, Fly Reels, Boat Fishermen, Bank Fishermen, Muzzle loaders, Crossbows, Compound Bows, Rifles, Hand guns, Dogs and on and on ad naseum.
    Some people can't feel good about themselves unless they are putting someone else down.
    Congratulations on a fine night of fishing. If done within the law and with respect to other people on the lake I'm for whatever you want to do!

15. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Be careful about wanting the government to ban anything. The Indians were some of the orginal people that used limbines and trotlines (Indian name) to catch catfish. Even though I rod and reel fish I think that jugs, limblines, and trotlines are a Southern tradition. I also know that several famous fisherman like Bill Dance and Jim Duckworth that have jug fished on TV. I think that simply placing a limit on how many catfish you can take a day, and a law like in Tennesse were you can only take one per day over 34". Let people fish however they want, but simply place a restriction on the number they can keep and how many big ones. Just be careful when we mention banning anything and getting the government involved. They always try to "help" us help ourselves or have "big" brother watch over us.

16. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I dont mind people fishing the way they want to but it is more sportsman like to catch on rod and reel. The only problem I have with juggers is their lack of respect for other fisherman. Friday I went night fishing on Badin and ended up dropping anchor in the channel near the dam. I had juggers getting up on plane and driving within 20-30 yards of my boat. Thats just stupid and disrespectfull. On top ov that shining that darn spotlight in my face, not just for a second but a long time! Just remember to be respectfull of others as you would want them to be to you! Ive seen water rage before at the coast and would hate to see it here locally where we all like to have fun.

17. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was at Badin Saturday morning before first light. There were jug lines scattered from not far above the tressel to the rocks behind the dam. They were also way up in the grass. Obviously nobody was tending them. I did see one boat that was closely watching their jugs like they should. As for keeping fish, they take too long too grow big. Just keep enough fish around 5 lbs. or less (and preferably channel cats) to last 2 or 3 meals. Take pictures of the larger fish and release them.

18. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Tomahawk, I agree with you all the way about juglines. Most jug fisherman I see just load up coolers with fish. If you catch them on a jug and release them. That's fine. I have also seen that most jug fisherman are very inconsiderate and just run around all night up and dwon the lake. I've had them get mad at me b/c their jugs floated up beside me when I was fishing. I picked 'em up and threw 'em far as I could. They acted like I was on their lake!! I like catfish to eat, but who wants to eat a big one. I kept one 40 lb. blue out of Tillery last year that was hooked deep and bleeding and would not swim off. That thing was gross. I'll keep several small channels or some little flatheads to eat and that's it. It's not about whether or not something is legal or not. I believe it is about being a true sportsman and respecting the fish that you are after. Catfish are very under rated. I see them as a game fish also. This is a huge resource that we have to take care of or it will not be there in the future. Take care of the fishery and it willl be there for many to enjoy for year to come. I sure hope that people take care of the lakes around here so when my boys grow up they will have a place to fish. Hey maybe we should make people take a fishing course before they get a license the way that they do when you get a hunting license. I also believe there are just a lot of ignorant people out there that just don't care. I'm not here to offend anyone, I just call 'em as I see 'em. If you are a sportsmanlike jugfisherman, then way to go. How about talking to some fo you fellow jug fisherman and get everybody on the same boat. later!

19. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Right on bream baiter I agree keep only what you can eat and release the rest. Iv gotten up at the crack of dawn to go fishing and found many "jugs" lying around the banks at all of the lakes I fish. Even had one line wrapped around my trolling motor because someone was too sorry to keep watch on their lines. Remember guys the more big fish you take out the less their will be next time!

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Congratulations on your catch, Shane. This is becoming just like the bass fishermen thread, let's just bash the juggers now. I haven't jugged in years, but when I did I was never disrespectful to the R&R fishermen. We used SINGLE hooks on our jugs, one per jug. We ate all the fish we caught in a timely manner. We didn't leave any jugs to POLLUTE our waterways. Just lumping all juggers into one big pile is neither just nor fair. And besides that, the average female 30 lb. blue lays about 10,000 eggs every spawn. There are many females that big in Badin. Just my two cents.