I ( got ) my first flathead finally

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Dec 25, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well i got a tiger rod combo from wally world and did my usuall take apart and see if i like the quality of it and it pased

it had line already on it and i measured the dia.(.019) the line that was prespooled said to be 14 lb test...

after pealing off line at different speeds with different drag settings for unrealistic times it finally pased my test...:wink: everyhting was smooth as butter...

i hooked a line counter on it and it showed there was 195 yards of line on it so i decided to put some BBG 20 lb test on her ( same DIA.)

i put a 1oz egg and a leader on it but something changed(Tangled so i had to cut it and didnt put another one on )

i spent about 20 minutes casting my net to get gills but the light that attracts them in got broken by a couple punks last week so there was only 1 gill and about 35 smallmouths ( there illegal here though )

right as i got back from the boat ramp i saw 2 poles go down and my dad was already fighting a 4lber ( we were striper fishing with live shad )
    so i grabbed the other pole and and did a matrix move trying to put the gill in the baitwell at the same time.

3 minutes later i got this nice 4lber in the net... while im getting him in my dad asked me if i wanted him to rig up the tiger rod with the gill and i quickly said yes... not even thinking about it.

so he casted it out and the night went on with nothing else... were getting ready to leave and i got all the striper poles in the travel cart when i saw line pealing off the spool and flicked the bail over before ripping his face off...

after about 10 minutes i finally saw it surface about 10 feet from the dock ... my buddy got his 24 in. wide net and placed it down in the water. i grabbed the line in one hand and the pole in the other and tryed to get it it in the net when he bucked once, twice, then snap. wore a weak spot in the leader... ( probably from the 20 cables and snagging hooks in front of the dock ).

Now i know for a fact that the net that my buddy was using was a 24 in square net and that flat was (Looked like 8 but im going to say 6 inches bigger that the net ) *** in my little book about catfish i got, that says that should be about 10-12 lbs...

if some of you want to see the leader ill take a picture...

the thing that i didnt like was i found out my dad riged a treble leader on it but the guy holding the net said he saw it ( reflecting in the light ) and saw the 2 shanks hanging out of its mouth.. so i hope it will disolve soon ( it had a red finish)... and we use them for striper fishing sometimes.:sad2:

i thank everyone again who told me about the brute fighting power of the flathead and the recomendations for the tackle ( and the donations from GETHOOKED):wink:

Merry Christmas to all :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on the Flathead ! All it takes is a little know how and a lot of patience

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Leroy, congrats on your first. gotta apoligize though. someone (refering mainly me) should of warned you not a good idea to grab line with a flathead. they do a last second panic tug sometimes that is as strong as when they first start the fighting. (as it sounds like you found out) always try to land using only pole unless super heavy line. then be prepared for possible cut hands.
    gary

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats on your flatties LeRoy! I hope that you're able to stay on em throughout the season!:wink:

5. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Congradulations on your first flathead. I remember my first one.

6. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good job man. Keep up the hard work. I have had many flatless nights but you put your time in on the water and It is rewarding when you get one. I'm sure you know what I mean with that night you had. :big_smile:

7. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    First one, alright....way to go. Where were you all at, what lake I mean. Might have to go for a drive.....:roll_eyes:

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats on your first flathead. I remember my first one I caught this summer. It happened withing two minutes of me throwing the gill seem like i placed it right in front of him. I thought I would be in a good fight but it turned out to be only a 10lber still I was excited.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    most guys ive seen ( around the dock or from shore ) free line their flatcat rigs. and they use trebles too???

I guess everyone has a preference

thats why my dad tyed a treble on my setup ( hey they work and i can get them cheap)

but i think ill stick to the octopos hook for now ( maby until i run out of em)

***and tofish*** thanks for the info about the last jult they give but the leader had knicks and scraps on the last 6 inches of it

Ill post a picture here in a bit

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    LeRoy, congratulations on your first flathead:cool2:.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    LeRoy congrats on your first flathead.Also thanks for the fishing story. May you break your pb on the next trip out.:big_smile:

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Way to go LeRoy....And with the new year upon us i'am sure you'll be catching many more:wink:

13. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Leroy,

Congrats on the catch. There is something about those flatties that just get me going. They can definately put up a fight.

I have to ask though, were did you catch it? Was it upstream from the Havasu Dam? I am curious because I didn't know that there were flatties upstream from the LHC dam. If there are, I may have to start exploring some new waters.

Ryan

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Leroy congrats on the flathead...:006:

:0a27:Ryan, here is a link to the flathead infor .....

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g2000/assess/chapter3.htm

Thanks to Riverbudd for the link....

Flathead catfish (Pylodictis olivaris) was first reported in Arizona from the Gila River basin in the 1950s (Minckley 1973). It was stocked into the lower Colorado River by AGFD in 1962 (McGinnis 1984). The species had spread upstream to Parker, Arizona by 1976 (Minckley 1979), and it was observed in Lake Havasu in 1984 (USBR file data).

Bayrunner Ray

15. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Leroy,
    Congrats on you flatty. Hope you get many more. rspd507