I got my first flathead catfish!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by dirt138, Aug 19, 2007.

1. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    Yep it’s true it took me a little while but I finally landed my first flat head catfish. It measured up just shy of 24” not huge but a good start I think. Only bite of the night and well worth the wait!! I have learned a lot the last few weeks chasing this guy down. I had to order some hooks from Cabela’s because I can’t find anything big enough around here. I also learned shortly after this little guy took my gill that I am going to need to get some new line. The 20lb test I have on my big poles just isn’t going to cut it and the med poles I have braid on I am not sure could handle a big flatty. Wish I had a pic to share but I was by myself so I didn’t bother bringing the camera. I think I will bring it anyway next time so I can at least get the fish alone. I also may have to get a scale. Long story short I’m hooked now. Lucky guy that I am I don’t have to work for the time being so I will be fishing every minute my wife will let me out of the house. I can’t stop now!!!!

2. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good work Rodger. Congrats! :009:

3. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    Sounds good bud good job on the fish.

4. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats brother Sounded like you had fun

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Rodger on your 1st Flatty! :big_smile: I'm sending rep!:0a1: A 24" is a good start. The big 'uns are out there. It takes time, patience and determination to git er done! :cool2: With all the rain we had today if I had time like you said, I would be out the next couple nights. The Cats like when the river is rising! I wish I could go but the work week schedule will keep me off the water till Saturday unless things change. On a side note since I fish alone often, I take almost all my fish pics using the self timer feature on the camera using a tripod or the camera can be sat on a bucket, cooler, big rock, etc. It would be a real shame to catch a 40# and not have a camera and preplanned way of taking a photo. Good luck on getting that next Flatty! :wink:

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Next one will be bigger I hope,:wink:, Congratulations on the first and to many more to come.:big_smile:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Congrats, you first is always the toughest.

8. Zeke

Zeke New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Hey, so you did get one afterall?!

Congrats.

9. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    24" is a GREAT fish!! Congrats man!!!!!!!

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on your first flathead buddy.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats buddy im still in search of my first flathead of this year.

12. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    Not at that spot. I was up the river a ways. Haven't got back down to the dam yet. I am waiting for the water level to give me a break.

13. Zeke

Zeke New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    One of these i'd like to try that stretch right below the New Ken bridge on the Springdale side.

I've run thru there with my depth finder and it looks like it has potential.

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats Rodger on catching you first flatty.:0a23:

15. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I have a few pots along that area. With the depth finder talk I will assume you are talking about from a boat. I could show you some bank spots along their but the water has to be lower to get to some. I have done pretty good for chanel, drum, and carp along that strech but have not tried much of it for flats yet..

16. Zeke

Zeke New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Yup, from a boat.

I'm not surprised to hear you've caught drum there......seems to be a lot of clam shells along the shore.

Were those channel cats of the small variety, or bigger?

17. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats on your first flathead, Hopefully many more to come.

18. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania

I have caught a few larger channels along there. The larger ones I seem to get farther down however. Not all the way to the dam but right before PPG in Springdale. THat is where I pulled out my PB channel and PB carp at both on at the same toime on the same night!! Boy that was an experience and a great story that I will have to share soon now.

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Congrats on the fish Rodger.

20. Zeke

Zeke New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    There's some deep water around there. Across the ways to the Barking and New Ken side i've seen 40-50ft holes.

The channel cats seem to be bigger in that pool also, compared to Harmarville's. Then when you get down to the Pittsburgh pool they get even bigger.