I got me an idea....

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Scott Daw, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I was getting a hankering to build a mini trebuchet for my brother to use for play fetch with his 2 dogs. sit there in the chair and lauch a tennis ball 100 yrds or so. but I've been thinking, could I use it to toss a bait out, like liver further with it then I can casting so I dont have to use nylons on the liver to get distance? Hmmmmm.......... Ive got the design for a mini treb already. It was going to be a winter project to work on when Im bored and cant get out. :spiderman:

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    wait, let me guess ... it's going to be called a "Cat-a-pole". :lol:

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i hope it works for you but i have my doubts :lol: i think your best bet is the nylons or maybe gause bandage

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's been done.

I saw it on TV...some guy up on the Columbia, I think...sturgeon fishing...the thing was mounted on the side rail of his pickup.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Scott good luck I hope it works for you. Just remember to have the bail open. I can see it now rod reel and bait 100 yards out, lol

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

That'd be bad...bad...very bad.....

7. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :crazy: LOL !

Yeah, maybe you might consider lashing the rod down before the launch.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Right on Howard.... nothing like being being on anchor when belaying someone...

I saw the launcher in a picture showing sturgeon fishing on the columbia riv.

bayrunner ray

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Scott, Build away buddy, you may have something their. But as to the pantyhose, I think I would deep six that Idea. I normally don't have to much trouble with keeping my Liver on the hook, if it is fresh by just wrapping it with sewing thread. But I have had some that gets a little old that tends to come off in casting. What I do then is wrap it two are three times with toilet paper makeing it look like a mummy, the blood from the liver will soak in to the paper and hold it in place while you are casting. I use new paper, but I just got to thinking, you know may be some used would work better. give it a little flavor, But by the time your liver hits the bottom your paper will be melted away.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Every time I look at this thread, I get visions of this thing going off prematurely, and giving you the hookset from hell.

Be careful, please.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Scott, check out trebuchet.com It has a bunch of useful info about catapults.
    Plus, I think a mangonel would be a better choice.
    Will