I got me a new PSE Rattler crossbow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by 1sporticus, Jun 24, 2007.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought a new PSE Rattler crossbow a few weeks ago off of Ebay, and I finally got around to shooting it yesterday. Boy am I impressed. I shot it about 30 times, and it's dialed in at 75 yards. I had to use the pin sights instead of the scope, a red dot scope, I'm not sure if it's me or the scope, but I can't see those little dots consistantly, anyone else had this kind of trouble? Later Andy

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Been wanting one of those. I can't help you with the scope as I have never had one.
    Bill

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well we figured the scope out, it was a bad connection. I have probably shot it at least 200 times, and it's a sweety. One thing I didn't know was that you need to lube up the rail before you shoot, and after every 25 shots, or the friction will start melting the string off. They sent me 17 inch bolts, but I wanted to go with 20 inch for more stability in the air and less noise while traveling. Well if I can make it out to the timber this fall, I may have a chance. Are there any more Crossbow shooters on this site? Later Andy

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought a Horton Ledgend off Ebay last year. I love the scope. I shot two deer with it last year. I never liked conventional bow having started with recurves and had a PSE compound years ago. I can't wait for the season to come around in September

5. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    after repeayed shoulder surgeries i was forced to switch to crossbow for the upcoming season. i went with the ten point because i like the integrated acu draw system. i've done some target practicing with it and really need to get the dampening package for it, but at 30 yds i can put 3 bolts in the 10 ring.

6. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    I had to give up my Dartin 3 years ago. After working to many years, thinking I could work like a man, my old shoulder finally gave way on me and had to have rotator cuff surgery. Bow season was getting to close and there I was without a bow I could pull anymore, so I broke down and bought a Parker crossbow and got my permit and figured I was ready for deer season.

First off, I looked like a wormy dog, scootin around on the ground on my butt trying to get that bow cocked. I had grass stains on my rear end and would be plum winded by the time I got that thing cocked. I hadn’t target practice with it enough to even say that I knew if I could hit anything or not. Well that first season I found out that I could hit something. I killed 3 stumps, one round bale of hay and my uncles hay rake. Never seen so many deer in my life. Course they were safe, but the stumps, hay bales and hay rake were in sad shape. So with my uncle having putting hunter orange on his hay rake and hay bales (just to let me know that he was having to much fun with me and my new bow) I decided then and there that I was going to do some target practice before next deer season.

So, I practiced. I even practiced getting that thing cocked. I rigged up a lil pulley system that I made and am able to now cock that thing without having to woller around on the ground. I spent a whole year target practicing with that thing. Deer season finally rolled around and I was loaded for bear. So I headed to my mother’s ole home place down in Ripley County MO and I was READY!!!!!

First day out, I got my happy butt in that tree stand and there I was setting, not moving a muscle. That ole New Madrid fault line decided to shake a little and boy the tree really seemed to be swaying. So down I came and just went back to camp. Went out 4 more days and didn’t see squat. About that time I decided that I needed to be doing some genealogy/family history research and just forgot about hunting.

After my husband would leave out of the morning for the hunt, I would head to cemeteries to do some ‘hunting’. When I would come home of the afternoon, I would go over what I found that day in the local cemeteries and was putting the information into my laptop. Then I would just set around before time to start fixing supper.

After about 6 days of this, my husband was having a terrible hunting trip for he wasn’t seeing much. He came in one evening after having missed a nice buck and to say the least, was in a foul mood. After about a hour of watching me put information into my laptop, I guess he finally couldn’t take it anymore, and he proceeded to ‘talk’ to me.

He said, “Beck, here you have saved up your vacation time all year, just to go hunting and you ain’t been in the deer woods 6 day’s”. I just looked at him and kept pecking on that laptop. Guess he wasn’t done. “Beck, will you quit peckin on that blame thing?” So I shut it down and put it away and came back and set down. Just looked at him.

After a few minutes, I said, “I put it away, so, what do you want to do now”? I guess he had his speech all ready for he cut loose. “Beck, we have been here for over 10 days and you have spent most of your time in cemeteries, instead of hunting. I ain’t seen very many deer and I am about to load up and go home!” I took a double look at him and when I did, I noticed 6 deer down in the hay field, just about 300 yards from the camper. I said, “Well honey, I guess you just ain’t hunting in the right spot, for right down there stands six.” That didn’t go over very well at all!!!

He looked at me in that tone of voice and said, “SEE if I bring you down here hunting again!” Well, needless to say, that didn’t set well with me. I looked him square in the eye and said, “Let me see if I have this straight? Here we are setting on over 800 acres of land surrounded by the Mark Twain Forest and the Irish Wilderness, on MY families land, that no one else can get to unless they have a key, and you are telling me you might never bring ME BACK HERE TO HUNT?” Needless to say, he had my red headed temper riled.

He just set there looking at me and I was looking right back at him. After a few minutes, I decided I wasn’t done with the ‘talk’ so I told him, “You want me to hunt, I will hunt. Watch this!!”

I got the four-wheeler out and moved it into the front of the old home place. Got my lawn chair and placed it beside the four-wheeler. Made another trip and got my bow and got it cocked and got a bolt put in it and placed it on the four-wheeler. Made another trip and got a Pepsi and my book. Set my happy butt down on the lawn chair, laid my cross-bow across the seat of the four-wheeler, opened my Pepsi and proceeded to read my book.

Set there about 5 minutes before I could hear him behind me telling me just who did I think I was kidding. That I wasn’t hunting, that I was just having a lil temper tantrum and that I was fooling anyone. I stood up, turned around and told him to hush and be quite, that I was hunting!!!!! He would just laugh and got to throwing pieces of wood chips at me and hitting me in the back with them or they would land on my head and I would swat at them. He was just laughing away, but I didn’t budge.

Finally about 15 minutes later, here he came. I had been watching that same buck cross down at the bottom of the hill, by the old well for nearly 10 days. Darrell couldn’t see the buck for he was at the camper but I was in front of the old house and could him at the bottom of the hill.

I raised that bow, let off the safety and cut loose. The sound of the arrow leaving the bow got Darrell’s attention and he hollered at me and said, “Now Beck, you don’t have to pretend you saw something and fire off a shot. You will have to put new blades on that one now.” I got up out of my lawn chair, laid my book down. Moved my lawn chair, walked back to the camper, got my knife and then walked back to the four-wheeler. Darrell was still teasing me and telling me how I wasn’t fooling anyone and that I just might as well admit that I would rather hunt in cemeteries for my ancestors than hunt deer.

I got on the four-wheeler and off I took. I saw where the buck went down; he traveled about 30 yards before he went down in a brush thicket. I got to him and he was dead, but I reached in and cut his throat. I then proceeded to TRY and drag him out of that thicket and it wasn’t going well. I finally took my belt off and tied around one of his back legs and then to the four-wheeler and was able to pull him out of the thicket. I finally got him loaded on the back of the wheeler and could hear Darrell hollerin at me from camp and asking me how long I was going to carry this joke on.

When I got to camp, Darrell dropped his smoke and his Pepsi fell out of his hand. I hung the deer up in the old walnut tree, got him gutted and skinned, walked back to my chair, sit down and asked him, “NOW, who needs to go out and go hunting?”

Sassy

7. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    horton makes a scope that works better than the red dot in my opinion. when i looked at a horton red dot at a show withmy wife and a horton rep. the wife and i agreed the normal scope worked better and was easier to see in bright light conditions, the rep agreed to.

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Congrats on the new Crossbow. I wish you alot of luck with it.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Good luck with the crossbow Andy. I've got a mathews bow that I've been shooting for about 8 years now. It's a fantastic but, but now that my shoulders are getting bad (been jerked on by greyhounds for too long) I may have to switch to the crossbow. I've been giving it pretty serious consideration. My doctor has suggested shoulder surgery, but I can't figure out when I want to do it.... miss fishing time or deer season? Choices, choices.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats on the crossbow and good luck.

11. xbowhunter1768

xbowhunter1768 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    congrats on the new xbow...pse makes a fine xbow at a more affordable price then most.

my brother bought a pse copperhead viper 150 lb. xbow and has taken over 20 deer in 3 seasons in Maryland with it, he laughs at me because i spend what i do on my xbows and haven't killed near that many in the 6 years i've hunted.

good luck & happy hunting :smile2:

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well Ive shot about 200 plus shots with it, and it seems as if it is going to work out good. I hope I can get out in the timber this fall and make it pay for itself. I have really missed being in the woods the past several years, and I do like venison a lot, so I'm going to give it a go. I'll keep you posted as to my progress. Thanks Andy