I got him.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jlingle, Nov 22, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    This isn't the biggest buck I've ever shot, but I think he's the best. I've watched this buck grow for a couple of years now and let him go. I posted pictures on here of him in velvet and again after he'd shed his velvet early in the year. I wanted to get my son on him during the youth rifle season here in Oklahoma, but this buck had basically vanished for the past month. I hadn't seen him, gotten any pictures of him, and nobody else had reported seeing him (and believe me there's LOTS of people hunting around me.) I honestly thought he was dead, and somebody had either sniped him from the road or ran over him. Anyway......

I went to help my uncle pick up a boar last night and didn't get to bed until around 1am. When my alarm went off early this morning, I nearly hit the snooze button. I got up and was out of coffee creamer....:angry:.... grrrrr. Went and got in my blind with no coffee and very little sleep. I hadn't been seeing many deer from this spot, but I thought with the rut kicking in I might have some luck today. Yeah, I guess so. I had one little 6 pt buck slip through, then at about 7:45 a doe popped out of a tree row at 170 yards. She was running around acting stupid & my heart really got to racing. I watched the end of that tree row, and this buck popped out. I couldn't believe my eyes, I thought he had already been killed, but there he stood. I checked him over quickly to be sure he wasn't busted up and then put the crosshairs on him. He had my blind pegged and he was standing stone still, just glaring at me. I held on his chest waiting for him to move, for what seemed like an eternity. Finally I just went ahead and smoked him. I shot him in the base of the neck and dropped him in his tracks. This buck was taken on our old family place, which makes him extra special for me. I really wish my grandparents were still alive to share this with, they'd be so excited for me. Grandma would be pumped to know that there are bucks like this wandering around their old homestead. Anyway...... here he is.

Attached Files:

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh yeah I forgot to add that he weighed 215, which is darn big for a buck in Southwest Oklahoma.

3. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Yes Jerrod, he's a fine looking animal. I know that grandfolks would be excited...it is wonderful that the property is still in the family. Congrats

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Nice Buck,,Good story and pics,,Congrats:big_smile:

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great looking deer!

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great Buck, Congrats to ya!!!

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats a nice deer any day:big_smile:

8. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    cool buck:big_smile:

9. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
  10. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Great story and a super trophy! CONGRATS

11. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Jerrod; We are all happy for you, congratulations on a nice buck. Thank you for sharing the story and photos. :0a31:

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    nice buck good lookin rack congrats

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Nice buck, thanks for the story to go with the pictures. I'm glad for ya.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats,Jerrod. Thats a fine buck in my book.

15. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congratulations on a really nice buck and a great story.

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dandy buck, congrats.

17. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    congrats on that big buck...:wink:

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    good job man! congratulations.

19. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    from one okie to another congrats on a great okla buck,thanks for sharing story and pics,i just have been seeing small ones