I got a return from a solar balloon!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catman529, Dec 24, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A lot of you read my post about solar balloons, but for those of you who didn't, read this first.

Here's my latest news and one of my best achievements yet. Yesterday (Dec. 23) I let off a small "tetroon" with a slip of paper. I had written my Web site address, date released and location. On my Web site I have a "found balloon" form for if someone finds one of my balloons. I had the info all ready and my balloon went up and away until I couldn't see it, like they always do.

Later that evening I checked my email and I had a message reading "Found Solar Balloon". I opened it and found out that the balloon I had just released was found 35 miles away. I released it at about 2:45 PM and the email was sent just before 5 PM. In two hours (or less) my balloon had traveled that far and was found! This has got me all pumped and I am ready to release some bigger ones for longer flights.

Merry Christmas y'all

found_12232006.JPG

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    That's cool! I would have totally loved to get into something like that when I was your age but we simply didn't have cool stuff like that back in my day!:sad2:

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    congrat I hope you keep having luck
    stephen

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    That is too cool! Keep us posted on the ones you hear back from. Thanks for sharing with us too!

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the story and info.! I would have loved to have done something like that when I was younger.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is pretty cool. I remember doing that back during Vacation Bible School, we would tape our info on baloons and send em in the air.

Thanks for sharing.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    jon thats awesome you got a solar balloon return congrats! hey i was wondering what is yout website? will you PM me the link i remember seeing a post on it a while back and wanted to check it out again! thanks! merry xmas!

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is really neat just hope ya don't get any weirdo's huntin ya down!----Pat:big_smile:

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    pretty neat man,
    i can vaugly remember doing a science project maybe third or fourth grade on weather ballons and the class made 3 balloons with everyone helping build / contruct primative weather analysis equipment to gather data
    we must not have made it good enough or it could have landed in a field ,water or trees and never retrieved . cause we never heard anything from anybody about it .
    are you going to send any weather balloons up?

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats awesome! keep it up and congrats on your progress!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Congratulations, that's sorta like catching a bit catfish.

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You're right on that one, and I hope I catch many more

13. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    catman, that is neat! keep us posted.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    be careful where you do it, there was a church somewhere here locally a few years back that got fined with "littering" for releasing balloons:sad2: that is cool though seeing how far your messages travel.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We did that once in school but never got a reply back. Ive found a few at my hunting place but couldnt find a message or anything. Couldve been up there for years before being found.

16. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That is cool:cool2: Keep going and let us know what you get back.
    Bill

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Maybe you could send up a couple of BOC flyers, Hey ya never know!! Sounds like a very interesting hobby.

18. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I can remember doing the same thing in grade school. (except without the website...back then it was just the pony express) pretty cool though.

19. Jim6470

Jim6470 New Member

State:
    NC
    Cool, maybe one day I'll find one over here in NC!!

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    isnt that littering??? just kidding, im glad that someone sent you a return.