I got a Question?!?! (or a few)

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by F250SD-Baby!!, Sep 24, 2008.

1. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bullhead cats/Mud cats....what's the biggest known to have been caught? How big can they get? Is there a 'state record'? I'm just curious...went to the creek to get some crawdads for my 'babies' and in the midst of scooping up a big crawdad, I scooped up a couple babies (cats)...of course I brought them home:tounge_out: but before my tank gets overcrowded, I wanted to know how big they truly get. I read that the biggest one caught was about 12 inches long and weigh in at about 1-2 pounds. if that's full grown, then I'm in good shape. but I think my biggest one is actually about 12-15 inches long. If they get much bigger...I am gonna have to get a bigger tank or donate them. (don't want to let them go...they are aggressive by nature, but they are somewhat tame and I kinda don't want anything to happen to them) I'm just curious. thanks in advance!

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    now if those are real bullheads, you might be in trouble as they CAN exceed 12" (I've caught them to 16")...
    but.
    * A small acquarium will limit there size (and 16" is REALLY big for a bullhead)
    * but Mostly, ARE you sure they are bullheads?? they are a number of sculpins/ stone cats, that max out around 4-5" that you might have scooped up. I'd post a picture.

maybe the last thing to say is that if you have a tank that can definitely hold a 12-15" catfish YOu have one big acquarium.:wink:

my 5" pleico was far too large for my 100 gallon tank...

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    1" of fish to 3-4 gallons of water. I bought a channel cat at Petsmart or one of those chain pet stores. It got to be about 12" or so. I had a 29 gallon tank. It would slosh water all over the place if I startled it. Other then that it just sat there waiting to be fed. I fed it cat food. I finally let it go in a pond.
    I do want to get another tank, my next tank will be 55 gallons.
    good luck with the fish

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    you may have gotten some madtoms. they only get about 5 inches at the most. 3-4 inch makes awesome smallmouth bait.
    chip

5. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would try an online search on google. Wikepedia should have some good info! Good luck on the water!:roll_eyes:

6. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    its a 75 gal tank
    I googled it, that's where I read that they don't get that big.
    and there are some pics of them in my albums...of the cats I have had for about a year or so now. The pics aren't that great, they get more spread out in the open when I feed them, but they have a tendancy to cloud up the water right after I feed them and stays that way for a couple hours. I feed them pond food from walmart. I get them 'treats' from the creek every once in a while, plus its fun to watch! I have 4...3 are dark brown with no 'V' in their tails(that's what made me think they were mud cats from the begining) and one is either a blue? or white? or channel? not sure, but definitely not a mud. He's light bluish/gray and his barbels on his bottom lip are white. and has a distinguished 'V' in his tail. all have overbite. my new ones are about an inch and a half long. and pale
    thanks guys

7. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia

check craigslist...they're all over in there.

If I have to, I have a 29 deep gal tank I can set up.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know bout where your at but arkansas has 3 kinds of mudcats or bull heads they are the black,green,and yellow.the black record is 4 lbs.12 ounces i think.the yellow is 1 lb.97/100ths i know cause i caught it and yes it is certified.ill be in the record book next year.

9. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks, Johnnie...I think my biggest one probably weighs about 2 pounds...I've seen 'em eat!:tounge_out:

10. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Hey what's up man. Even though I'm thousands of miles away thought I might give a little feedback. I use to have a bullhead and a channel in my tank about 6yrs back. They both stayed about the same size even though by nature channels will get considerably larger. They will only grow to their surroundings. The bigger the tank the bigger the fish will get. I use to feed them small goldfish and pieces of whatever meat we were eating for dinner. They were much more active at night and sometimes wouldn't eat until we turned out the lights and it was dark.
    Sometimes I would put goldfish in the tank and they wouldn't touch em.
    Wake up in the morning and they'd all be gone. Tight linez buddy.

Sean!