i got a question and help would be appericated

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigal1, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bigal1

bigal1 New Member

State:
    huntsville alabama
    i posted a thread a few days ago called "what do you think the hardest fightin fish is" and i had some replys sayin that people were catchin eels where do you catch them things at?

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    We Catch Loads Of Eels Here In Maryland Seems They Will Eat Just About Anything You Put Out There. Biggest I Have Had Was About 5 Ft Long.

3. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Dang! 5 foot long eel? Do they have teeth? I have no experience with these either, and didn't even realize we had any in our freshwater lakes.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Don't they deliver an electric shock? How do u get 'em off the hook w/out gettin zapped?

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  6. brew

brew New Member

I catch then in eastern PA. When I lived in western PA I never saw them, but out here they are almost a nucesence. Delaware river, neshemity creek and in the local lakes I catch one about every time I go out. Biggest was about 3 ft and as thick as my forarm. It did fight really well, I thought I had a nice fish on, what a dissapointment, lol.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    the occasional eel shows up from time to time and put up a heck of a fight. if by chance you catch them while migrating you'll catch nothing but till you run out of bait! fat nightcrawlers are what ive seemed to get the most with and when i do ill change baits. they are a ton o fun to reel in but no fun to get off your line.

i carry a pair of Corona pruning shears to cut the head off ASAP and if the hooks too deep then just cut the leader also. you DONT want an eel in your boat. ever. if you have no choice but to grab hold of it you can pull up to the bank and get a handful of mud or sand to use to wash your hands

Attached Files:

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Why don't you want one in the boat? I'm not familiar with eels, no idea about 'em and just curious.

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    "slippery as an eel"

eels make absurd amounts of slime of a consistency i guess you could best describe as snot mixed with glue. simply swishing your hands in the water over the side of the boat aint gunna get it off. if your boat has astroturf or carpet in it the slime will dry and be even harder to get out. not to mention dry slime is very slick when stepped on with a wet boot. eel slime is unlike that of any other fish i know of. if you get one on a trotline be sure you grab the dropper just above the hook or the eel will tie the dropper to the mainline in squareknots that are next to impossible to untie. its natural defense tactic is to twist itself in knots while excreting lots of slime. actually kinda neat to watch them do it. is why i mentioned i carry the shears... i have them in my hand before i pull the trotline up out of the water so as not to give mr eel the chance to twist.

the pic in my last post is of a eel i had just de-headed. threw it up on the bank for the critters to eat.

i have used eel chunks as bait too with no luck.

10. bigal1

bigal1 New Member

State:
    huntsville alabama
    can you catch them down south like lake guntersville...i have never heard of people catchin them things in fresh water and also what is teh best kind of bait

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I swear by em for bait. There are times I will target them in order to get a good amount for the freezer. Channels in my neck of the woods love em and the river provides them. Kinda makes sense that the cats would like to eat em.LOL! Like the other posts said they are a slime makein machine. LOL! I simply cut the leader and let em drop on the ice in the bait cooler. That calms em down after a bit and then I get the hook out. What really calms em down is when I get home,bag em up and toss em in the freezer. LOL!

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds like your eels are like our flying carp. Nasty slimy stinky things that you don't want in your boat. Although they make damn good bait. :)

13. fireman10535

fireman10535 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    Just don't mix em...we don't want no flying eels :)

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I heard that there were snakehead fish caught in the Potomac river. Is that true ? and if so ,have you caught any? what do you do with it if you catch one?

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've caught a few eels trotlining at night on the Arkansas River, but never one on rod & reel. If I could get the pliers on the hook, I would just shake them off, but usually I would cut the dropper and replace it.

Unless you're fishing in South America, you don't have to worry about catching an electric eel.

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Some people are catching good numbers of snake heads in the potomac river.
    they are a very good eatingthey say something like a walleye dont know i haven't eatin any of them. lots of the bass guys have had them in the glass beds so far i haven't had any on saw some in the water just haven't hooked any.

17. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    ive never caught one but sailfish that ive seen caught on tv sure look tough

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    lol most common bait i catch eels on is worms... esp when im going for small channels and stuff like that... my largest was just over 3.25lbs... It was at a boy scout fishing tourny my dad runs. Unfortunately it was after the fishing had ended... otherwise i would have come in first rather then 2nd.... oh well... fought like a realllly good fish too, i was getting excited bringing it up esp after i saw the glimse of white in the water... thought it was a good sized channel cat or a large albino bullhead.

I've never caught anything on eel my self but i hear they work wonders at the right time and in the right place...

The place i catch most of mine is under the Paint Branch Parkway Bridge over i think its the North East Branch of the Anacostia... im not really sure exactly what river it is... but its right under the bridge about 100 yards from the parking lot at Paint Branch Park... i keep wanting to go down and toss out my minnow trap w/ extension but haven't yet... i pull 5 or 6 an hr fishing usually though... Keep trying for some of the catfish i saw cruising by a rock as well as some HUGE trouty like fish, i don't know what it was exactly but i know i saw atleast a 2 lb cat under a big rock near the middle down there... anyway...