I got a problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by kickin_wing, Feb 25, 2007.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When i changed my gear lube i stripped out the threads on the motor on the bottom plug, what do i do now?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'll tell you if you promise not to vote for Hillary.:lol:

3. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ok i wont, tell me

4. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Austin: Last season when I received my motor back from a dealer they had stripped the top hole (fill level) bolt and just stuck another bolt of different thread type in place which of course didn’t seal. I purchased a tap & wrench in the next size larger hole from my local hardware dealer, very reasonable, I redrilled the hole 1 size larger, taped the new threads, and replaced with the correct size bolt for new tap size and threads. Go easy when drilling and tapping as not much thickness to case. You will have to look for the proper size bolt in aluminum. I was careful to lose as little drilling material inside the lower housing as possible, perhaps flushing would be preferred before refilling lower unit. I had no further problem with mine the remainder of last season. Luck

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good info above.

A thick aplication of grease on the drill bit and tap will help prevent the loss of metal into the gear case.

Do not drill or tap too far into the gear case either.