I got a canoe?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by motard1, Jul 20, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Well,I bought a canoe. Gonna take it to the sabine river today and do a little playing. Anybody know about any rod holders or other accessories. It's a 17' fiberglass whitecap. I was wanting aluminum,so I could weld stuff to it,but the guy gave us a good deal.

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have a kayak and a 12' sevylor inflatable boat. I have modified both with pvc ftg. to make rod holders and depth finder. I generally dont glue the ftg in case I come up with a better idea. Its a kick fishing out of a little boat good luck.

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    They got clamp on rod holders at bass pro. Hooks right on the rail that runs around the top.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Congrats on the new boat. i started off in a fiberglass canoe. A couple words of advise, if you transport in a truck, dont strap it down too tight if it sits upright. I did that once and always had a spongey spot in the floor where the tail gait was against it. After that I always transported it on its top. I also never sat in it when it wasn't in the water for the same reason.
    When your out by yourself bring a weight with you like a battery or large rock to set in front of the canoe. Keeps your front end from catching as much wind and helps you track better. Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    What about a motor on it. I don't want a trolling motor. I have seen some homemade weed eater style motors,what are they like. I also looked at 2-4 hp motors. Will they work on the same style mount as a trolling motor? I figure,they weigh about 35 pounds,plus gas. A good battery weighs alot more,plus the trolling motor. I wonder if it will track straight with the motor on the side. I am also gonna build some kind of container for the middle to hold all my stuff. The last thing I want is to flip it and lose my tackle box and cooler. One more thing. Has anyone made any training wheels for it. I mean outriggers.

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Check with your state laws before you put a motor on it. Most states make you register it if has a motor. I'm not sure what kind of motor mounts you have but I would put outriggers on if I was going to put a motor on. As for where you get the outriggers, that is probably some thing you have to engineer yourself.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Well,I was wrong on a couple things. 1. It's not fiberglass,its called Royalex ABS. 2. It os made by Old Town,Whitecap is just the model. And yes,it will have to be registered with a motor on it,but no big deal.

8. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the canoe Mo. I have taken both my canoe and kayak out more this year than in the past for no other reason than they don't have a motor and therefore don't use any gas. It has become very expensive lately to fill up the old jon boat and truck and head out to the old fishing hole.
    As for accessories, Try a few of these: Bass Pro
    West Marine
    NRS