I FOUND THE ONE

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whodaman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    I know that the most of you on here swear by the Abu Garcia reel and i do agree that it is a great reel but where I grew up everyone around me used penn reels and so i have been stuck i love the penn reel i collect them i have 4 old number 77 penn and now i have 4 that i use while fishing. Now a long time ago when i was a kid my grandfather took me to Florida and we went fishing and i saw this guy using a penn real but it was a lot bigger then the 209s we were fishing with back home so i went up to him and asked him what kind of reel he was using and he said it was a penn long beach 65 he had it on a long surf rod and i was amazed by this reel so much i told my dad about it that night when i talked to him. so from there i started searching for a penn long beach 65 well at the time no one in iowa carried that reel cause it was a salt water reel and being the kid i was i soon forgot about the reel well today in 08 i went to the annual fishermen swap meet and low and behold what do i see a penn long beach 65 in its original box. Ill tell you what i bee lined for that table grabbed the box and opened it up and there it was the reel that i had set my heart on so many years ago and today was the day i had a pocket full of money so without haggleing the guy i gave him the 35 bucks i have had the worst case of spring fever and finding this reel makes me wanna get out on the water even worse

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Corey congrats on finding the reel you were longing for. Its good to have confidence in your equipment.

3. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is it a spinning or baitcasting reel? The new Penns are just not as classy looking as the older ones. Plastic spools on the 9m,209, and 309.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Penn is not the same company it used to be. It was a family owned business ran right out here in Philadelphia. Most of their reels where built here now most of them are made in China except i think for their higher end reels.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I love the retail price on that reel. $12.50 Goes to show that company was around a bit.

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish:cool2:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Corey - Congrats on finding the reel you were searching so long to find! :cool2: I can imagine your great excitement at seeing it for sale at the swap meet!

8. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on finding the reel you wanted for a long time. I myself own 2 65'S and 1 of them is the only Penn I purchased new, they are very good strong reels.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Congrats on finding that reel.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats Cory on finding the reel u been wanting ,thats great !!!!!!!:cool2:

11. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    If it's a USA reel, in the box, you got a good deal as well.

All of Penn production moved to china a couple of years ago.... no more US Penns..

12. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Congrats on your find, you got a good deal if it is'nt salt water pitted. I am also a Penn fan, American made only. I'm always watching EBAY, there is always good old Penn's , sometimes you can get a deal. I' ve always wanted a Penn Senator, about a 113h should reel in any flathead or blue.

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't know that "Made in China" is a guarantee of inferior quality...there was a time, not that long ago, that "Made in Japan" was viewed the same way.

I don't like the exporting of American jobs any more than the next guy, but many of the products I buy today that have China as the country of origin are perfectly acceptable. I'm not giving up on Penn, just yet.

My apologies for the hijack.

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i heard that abu garcia is made in china and assembled in sweden dont know if it trure or not

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good for ya, got what you always wanted. Ya musta done somethin good for someone at one time. If its in good shape its not a bad price either. New in box is too much to ask for. Penn is 75 years old, just recently bought by shakespeare. I got a no. 9, Jigmaster 500, and a monofil 25. One is obsolete, but parts are interchangeable from other reels.

16. shadsides

shadsides New Member

State:
    kansas
    glad u foend what u were looking 4

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the reel. All of us have our favorites.

18. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I missed the swap meet this year. We were all sick and so had to stay home. I always walk in with $100 and walk out with 2-300 bucks worth of stuff. It is awesome.

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
  20. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I know what you mean about not having many salt water reels around. We didn't have in Nebraska either.

I was of the opinion that the Garcia was the best casting reel for a long time. I have had more than one exchanges here on the BOC defending my beloved Garcia.

With time these guys have made me take a good look at both reels. I have overhauled several of them so I have seen the insides. I find that I have come away from the Garcia just a bit. Now I still fish my 6500C3's with the star drags but I am kind of disappointed in their attempt to put a lever drag on the 6500.

I actually picked up a new Penn 320LD and Shimano Charter Special both with lever drags. I am really looking forward to trying them out.

I hope you enjoy that real. I should do a very nice job.