I found some axles how can I figure out what they are

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by gmc3500, Mar 12, 2007.

1. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    I foound some front and rear ends and I was woundering how I could find out what they are. I have the casting numbers. I was woundering if there was a place that I could run the numbers and find out what they were. they are 5 lug budd wheels the back is a dually. front end has a closed knukle.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    call 4wheel parts or a local junk yard and give them all the info u have.
    there should be an info plate on both diffs somewhere

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    The front sounds like a dana 70 being a closed knuckle, or it could be a dana 44 closed knuckle. The rear dually could be a dana 70 or dana 80.

Look on Dana spicers website and search the BOM numbers. BOM numbers are stamped into the axle tubes beside the differential. Not the casting numbers on the diff.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang it Brian you dont need no monster truck!!lol

5. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    yea I will have to look at that ill go back this weekend mabe and find it all that i have found was the cast numbers on the housings becuase i was in a hurry. ill post it on he as soon as i get a chance. I relly need a dana 60. but I dont want to spend a grand on one tho.

6. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    I have to have a monster truck dad cuz chicks dig it!!!!!:lol:

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    if the front was a closed knuckle it is a old POS and you don't want it.
    For a front dana 60 i am pretty sure you need to find a 78 or newer truck for it to be a non-closed knuckle.

8. k5camaro

k5camaro New Member

State:
    texas
    a front dana 60 is real close to looking the same as a dana 44 only bigger ,same shape on diff cover anyway.most 1 tons had front 60's ,find a nice dodge one and run crossover steering.and if you have pics i can help you a little better

9. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    Well I dont have any pics of these. I wished that I could find a d-60 or a hp d-44 that was 8 lug but I dont have that knd of cash to buy one so I geuss ill stick to my piece of crap ifs on my gmc for now.