i found a pontoon but there is a problem

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by mjbarby, May 9, 2009.

1. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have located a pontoon rebuild project, 1988 harris floteboat ultrelite 20'. aluminum deck and everything looks solid. now the problem, the 35 hp force does not have a title (needed in okla). there maybe a big hassle getting it tagged. i happen to have another force motor, 125hp. is this too much motor for this pontoon? i would be more concerned about the weight, i do not realy care about speed. additionally, this pontoon does not have a console. does anyone have any suggestions on building one or is it best to just go with the premade. i have extensive wood skills but not much experiance with boats.
    thanks for any help you guys may have.

2. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Mike if you live anywhere near sallisaw, there is a boat salvage in that area. Cant think of the road off the top of my head. making one out of wood is easy too, especially since you have the skills. Just make sure to seal it good. Cant advise on the Motor.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Need to know some history on the title for the motor. Did it come from a state that doesn't require titles and they never titled it in OK? Or is it titled in OK and has been lost through the years? Has it ever been titled in OK?

4. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes, it was titled in okla but the tag office can not find record of the title, but can find were it had been registered, if that makes any sense at all. call it the black hole of government red tape. i really have little nice to say about our local tag office, bought a new jonboat a few years back and ended up going to another city's dmv to get the thing titled and tand agged. i am buying the motor from a friend if we can figure out the title.

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Does Oklahoma have a bonded title process? If so, maybe that would be your easiest route.

6. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    You might check with the titling department to see if a bill of sale and either a picture or pencil rubbing of the ID plate will work I had to do that on my last boat.

7. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    bonded title???????? i do not think i know what that is.

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Most states will allow a bonded title. A bonded title is used when you are not the person that the title is issued to and you cannot locate that person, or that person cannot locate the title. Usually, you have to post a bond which is a very small amount of the value of the property. They issue a title and send letters to the previous owner. The previous owner have a certain length of time to contest the process. If they don't, you're done.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Who is the motor currently registered under? Is it your friend or someone that he knows?

10. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    guys, thanks so much for all of your help!!!!!!!!! They located tthe title so problem is solved. i will probley have all kinds of questions for you in the future as i now have a fixer-upper pontoon with a motor. thanks again.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Glad to hear that, good luck with your new rig.