I found a fish my rod couldnt handle.

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by catfish_clayton, Apr 21, 2007.

1. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I found a fish today that my 8 ft. berkley big game mh action rod couldnt handle, I was fishing in about a 30ft deep hole below the New Cumberland dam on the ohio river compleatly un-prepared for what was about to happen. My rod butt went flying up in the air and I grabed ahold of it and when I did the power of the fish cought me by suprize and I almost feel into the speedy current below the wall I was fishing off of. As soon as I felt the power of this fish I knew it was the biggest thing that I had ever hooked into. At the first part of the fight I was able to gain a small amount of ground, about 10 yards or so. And then he realy decided to show me how much power he had, he took off and peeled about 60 yards of line off my reel before I had a chance to tighten the drag. And then I went running down the wall just trying to gain some line, and I did, but then he took off straight out and I couldnt budge him. After fighting him for about a half hour pumping and reeling, I thought I lost him because he came right in towards me and then I reeled in reel fast and felt that he was on and he took right back off. after about another 10 or 15 minutes of fighting him I was kind of just holding him there, and then my line went slack , I reeled in to find that my hook was bent straight. I wish I would of had a rod with more backbone, and then I might have beeen able to gain alot more ground with the fish. I also wish I would have been using my 5\0 tru turn hooks instead of my 3\0's, then maybe my hook wouldnt of bent. To say the least it was an awsome fight. Im not sure what kind of cat it was but I think it was A big blue because he hit on a rotten piece of chicken breast, And I dont think a flattie would hit on something like that. All I know is what ever it was it had to of been pushing 100 lbs.:crazy:

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    It sounds like you had some fun. I wish you could of got him in.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds to me like you had alot of fun! Better luck next time!:big_smile:

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats one fish youll never forget, and every time you tell the story that old cat will gain 25 lbs.:big_smile: Maybe next time!!!!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It don't sound as though the rod was at fault... it seemed to be holding the fish. And the reel is supposed to release line when the fish runs... so, if I was a betting man, I'd bet the rest of your tackle was not set up to match your rod and reel. If you had a stiffer rod, you probably would have lost that fish much, much quicker and not had the fun of the fight. Tough luck on the hook... get some bigger ones. LOL

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    WOW!!!!! Man, that'll be something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Un-freakin'-believable. I gotta agree with lawrence though, I'd be puttin' my money on a better hook next time. Sounds like your rod & reel were up to snuff, but your terminal tackle failed ya. It really doesn't matter.... the fish is still there and you didn't get him. If it were me, I'd either invest in some 3X strong trebles, or some 8/0-10/0 circles. Then i'd be back there at daylight, just hoping and praying that somebody else doesn't catch that monster.

That's the type of thing that keeps me going back, just knowing that the next time I set the hook, I could be fighting a real life sea monster. Reps to ya, amigo. Good story. Jeeze, it's exciting to me just thinking about it and I wasn't even there!!! Get back in there & get him!!!

7. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dadgum Clayton, get back out there and catch that fish! Great story...I'm ready for chapter two.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Get rid of those darned Tru-turn hooks!!!! They will have You singing the blues again. You need to pony up and get some Gamakatsu hooks, They are far superior to what you using now!

9. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Thanks for the posts guys, The reason I was using the small hooks was because I was fishing for channels. Even though thats the first time I had any trouble with tru-turn hooks think I might try out a new brand of hook, I think Ill pick me up a pack of gamakatzus.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Clayton,
    you should also check the Drag on your reel. sounds like its WAY TOO Tight. The drag should be set to protect the weakest link of your terminal tackle (in this case Your hooks) with a properly set and maintained drag you should never straighten out a hook!

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    clayton you need to check the thickness of the hook small wire such as true turns will bend iv looked and found and use the biggest wire hooks i know of they are cattmax from bps you would have a hard time straightening them with plyers let alone in a fish , its my findings now that my weakest link is my line i use ugly stick mh paired with abu 7000 and 30# biggame and cattmax hooks in the past 7 years iv only had 2 fish brake my line and in the last 2 years iv never had a hook bend pretty good id say , i hope you find a hook that works for you

12. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Man brother that SUCKS! Like has been said, you'll never forget it. I wouldnt tell too many people or they might get your fish. Tough break, but hes still there. Go get em.

Dru

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Clayton thanks for the story. Like the BOC brothers have told you, it's time to update your hooks. Maybe the next time you tell this story you will have pics of you winning the battle.:lol: :big_smile:

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska

he just told everyone on here that has read this thread.. thats a lot of people!!! lol seriously though man good luck as catchin that fish! if it were me id kick myself for that stupid hook

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Clayton, A 6 or 7/0 Gamma octopus J hook is well suited to channel fishing and will hold up better than small gauge hooks. I use 8 thru 10/0 for flats and I haven't ever had one bend even slightly. Don't be put off if they look larger than the hook sizes you use now. I have caught 1lb channels on those 10/0 hooks. So a 6 or 7 isn't too big.

16. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Clayton a heavy rod might not have helped you any.5 years ago this month while bank fishing at night in the Tenn.river I hooked a fish that got my feet wet and almost pulled me into the river.I was using a heavy deepsea fishing rod and spooled with heavy line,I had the drag set so tight I could just barely pull line off at he reel by hand.That fish stripped all all the line he wanted to and got hung up on a big rock on the bottom and pulled off the hook.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Outstanding story Clayton. Thanks for sharing. We could all feel your excitement in the details. As for your equipment, sounds to me like everything worked just like its supposed to. Your rod held up well, and had the back bone you need to haul a heavy fish against heavy current. Your reel performed as advertised by allowing the fish to pull up to 60 yards off of your spool, and had enough torque to gain line when you needed it. Now for those hooks, time to pony up and get the good one's my friend. Even if fishing for only channel cats because you just dont know when that 100 pound fish is going to decide to eat. A big Blue will find the weakest link in your tackle and exploit it. Unfortunately, it was your hooks. Great story though partner. He's still out there, and hes still eating. Go Get Em.

18. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    been there before friend. I always fish with the heavy stuff and even when fishing for other fish. you never know when the fight will be on.

go get that FAT CAT!!!!

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Every time I go I expect to hook a state record size fish. So the gear I use is matched to the largest size fish we have here. Yes its overkill on the smaller fish but if you aren't prepared when the big one hits they are near impossible to land. Any big fish will exploit the weakest link in your equipment, Knots,swivels,hooks,line,rod,reel. Clayton gained some valuable experience, and from the excitement in his post, I'm sure he will not let that happen again. Any of you beginners out there should take notice. Just because you are fishing for smaller fish don't forget big fish are in there also. Be prepared lol.

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I tend to agree that what you need is stronger hooks - not necessarily bigger, just stronger. A good forged model should do the trick.

The thing is to balance the whole outfit, including the line and the hooks. My buddy landed a 53 pound flathead a bit over a week ago on a fairly light wire 2/0 kahle hook. He did this on 15 pound test with an apropriate drag setting. If he was pulling hard on the fish with heavier tackle, the hook probably would have straightened. We are luck to fish an area without too many snags, so we can let the fish run a bit and tire them out.