I forgot how fun it is!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by richard dunbar, Oct 8, 2009.

1. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Took my youngest son on his 1st salmon fishing trip. Man we had a great time. I never caught humpies before, only kings. But I tell you what, what a time we had. We got off to a late start and did'nt even get our lines wet til around 0930. We used a 5 1/2 ft and a 6ft trout rod with light spinning gear. Our bait of choice was a gold 1/8 oz and a silver 1/8 oz kastmaster. Everyone else was using somthing called a humpy special that was all pink. If you ask me though, those things are'nt special because they work for crap. My sons 1st cast I told him let it go to the bottom and bring it back slowly and sure enough, WAM! fish on. He faught it for about 5 min with a big ole grin happy as a tic on a hound. When he landed the fat sow, it was a better than avg. fish. It went just a tad bit over 6 1/2 lbs. From my short time fishing for them I figure avg. is between 4 to 6 lbs. We snapped a pic and put it back in the water to do her thing. At the end of 3 hours we had landed 12 and hooked 18 all of wich went back in the water so they could spawn. Silvers should be in any day now and I promise you we will be back on the river doing our thing and we just may hang on to one or two of those.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rich,By humpy ,I assume you;re referring to a Sockeye?? We have land locked sockeye here in NM,they call em Kocanees,We have a special snagging season in the fall,in fact its close to time here. The state record here is an even 4 lbs.

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    No its not a sockeye, its somthing else. They don't turn red they turn dark green :wink:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Great story Rich. Reps to ya buddy:wink:

5. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Keep the boy fishing you won't regret the time you spend with him and keep on catching

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Richard glad you see you posting again, So your living in a new state now i see, man i loved to get out and do some fishing for those salmon..Take care and Fish On.