I fish Lake Lanier for catfish every week

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Crash, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I fish Lanier for cats every week. I do very well. the secret here is to catch your own threadfin herring. Sometimes we go striper fishing during the day and use our left over bluback herring for bait. We do okay like that but if you want real action, go to Flat Creek and throw a cast net where you mark the bait and I promise you will not be able to beat this bait for catfish. I usually cut them and use the heads more than the tails. We fish medium heavy rods with 1.4 oz. weights and keep the line tight. We catch 10-20 nice ones every trip. (4-7lbs). If any of you know where on lake Lanier to catch the real big ones PLEASE let me know. I have been dreaming about it for a long time, but I don't have the patience to search for them when I can catch the norm every trip...

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive been fishing about 5 nights a week lately till 10:30. Do ya know Mcever road?

3. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yeah I know it. I put in right there in Shoal Creek most of the time unless I need to go to the Dam store and get bait. I have a couple hot spots right in that area. Let me know if you are fishing that area and I will tell you where.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thats where I fish buddy. Ive been fishing a lot at the bridge on mcever road lately and have been doin pretty good with cats and stripers even got a carp. You can find me there from monday till thursday after 1pm and leave around 10:30pm

5. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Isn't that the Flowery branch bay? If it is that would explain the Stripers.....I catch a ton of em in there. There is a ton of bait back there and some kind of natural spring that bubbles up from the bottom so you can find them there this time of year when the water is cold. Do you fish that spot on the bank or are you in a boat? We will be out tomorrow night. if you are going to be there maybe I will put in in Flowery Branch and swing by to see how the bite is.

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Not sure about tomorrow night. Depends how many herring I can get today I will be fishing down there today if there arent to many people crowding the spot. I am stuck on the bank but when I head back to Jersey to visit Im gonna bring my fathers 14ftr back with me

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Lonnie if your heading out tonight I will be down there my usuall time if ya want to swing through.

8. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nah, my fishing has been pretty much cut back to weekends since the new baby got here. With one kid my wife was fine, but two young ones is a bit much for her to handle ALL the time by herself. I go almost every friday night....lately I have a boat full, but they are mostly just there for the fun and some of them will drop off soon. If you want to go sometime let me know and you are welcome on my boat. Like I said....we catch plenty of nice ones, but we haven't found the MONSTERS yet.

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Sounds like a plan my man. I was out monday and I had a real monster channel on and he run me deep into those rocks by the bridge I killed them for one hour after work then went home. Today was different I had 1 bite and 1 fish from 1pm to 11pm. I was swimming off that point all day with no shirt on and I got one of the worst sunburns Ive ever had or seen. Im feeling queezy at the moment. Im gonna lay low on the outdoors till the burn gets better.

10. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I probably won't be able to fish this coming weekend but most likely next. I will try to post on here for you to let you know when and where on Thursday night. I went this Friday and we did pretty good. about 40 pounds. They all came from the back of a creek similar to where you fish, but the wierd thing is that we caught all of them right away when we got there and then sat for four hours with nothing. we finally called it a night around 2:15. I just couldn't take it anymore, and the beer was getting me pretty tipsy :)

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey buddy did you just so happen to be over in the Clarks bridge section of Lanier yesterday??? Seen a guy in a boat that looked familiar and had a little fishing buddy that looked like the master fisherman in your avatar

12. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    No, it wasn't me. I did not get to go out this week. My parents were in from Panama and I haven't seen them in about a year. You know how it goes. I should be able to go this weekend. If you want a spot on the boat let me know and I will try to work it out. I will go either friday or Saturday weather depending.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah just shoot the day and where to be. I aint got no plans for this weekend gonna play it safe around here as Im sure there will be a bunch of loose cannons roming the area.

14. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Greetings! I'm kinda new to the area, I'm about 45 minutes from Lanier (I'm in Duluth) but not very familiar with the area at all. I don't have a boat either :)

Are there any good shore fishing spots for cats? I love cats and carp too and never caught a striper before. I release everything I catch after a picture.

The only places I've been on Lanier are Charleston public area and 6-Mile Creek public area (on the other side of the lake) but didn't really have any luck at either place, except for brim and plenty of spotted bass.

I can see the McEvor bridge on the map when I use Mapquest, but that's the extent of the information I have. I don't have a boat so I can't really net any baitfish - unless some come close to shore anywhere.

Well, any information about bank fishing for cats/cap on Lanier would be much appreciated!! :)

15. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Is there a place to park and walk to access fishing near McEvor bridge?

16. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I drove by McEvor bridge yesterday, I didn't see any cars parked along the road, can I just park anywhere?

I continued on to the Flowery Branch public park area, there were some people fishing but nobody was catching anything.

Any other places I could access without a boat?

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    You can park off the side of the road next to the bridge on either side but Ive had little luck there the past few weeks. The only place Ive done anygood lately is at flowerybranch park at the second set of pipes further up the tracks and it hasnt been all that good either. The past couple times Ive fished Lula bridge has been OK and should be getting better up there.

18. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey Jerseycat, just checkin if you've been to McEver Bridge lately. I stopped by there today just to check it out around 6:30pm. It was pretty crowded! Is it always crowded or just because it was Saturday and all.

I'm gonna go back next week on a week day and give it a try with some cut bluebacks.

I also drove on by the Buford Dam, and checked out the West Bank park area. Looked like a good place to fish, but again - it was just packed with people everywher! I have some time off work comng up soon and I'd like to go back and try again when not so many people.

Still on my quest for a striper from the bank and a cat over 10lbs! :)

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I hear ya buddy its that time of year now just about any spot with fairly easy access is crowded on weekends now. I was at the bridge sunday night till 3 am and we did pretty good we were catching a fish every 15 to 30 minutes I would say and there a few times when the action was dare I say it but red hot LOL We fished both sets of pipes in Flowery branch yesterday and caught 2 3lbrs at the furthest set of pipe but the water is way down in that area and fairly shallow now. We left that spot at 8pm and trucked on up to Lula bridge and caught 3 in 4hours but we did have a real monster fish on not sure what it was but it was BIGGGGGGG and he was havin none of our crap LOL He took off and the drag had a hitch in it that gave him the ability to break off my whole rig and made short work of the 30lb big game. I havent felt a fish with that much power in a long time.

20. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like you were havin some fun! I have yet to get anything over 2lbs out of Lanier yet, and no cat over 1lb. Is the McEvor bridge crowded on weekdays too?

Also, I'm not familiar with Lula bridge.