I finally have found the wonders of shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Monsterkat11, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i've been out about 10 times in the last week or two for cat, on the great miami river near dayton. i have got NOTHING. but yesterday i decided to try shrimp, and withing 10 minutes i had a very very VERY nice hit, and missed the fish, i didn't get anymore bites but it gives me full confidence that they ARE there and they WILL bite.

needless to say i'll be going back.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you need further help with the "NOTHING" part contact that famous Ohio fisherman H2O MELLON he has caught more "NOTHING" than anyone one else in the state.In fact thanks to this board his fame has spread far and wide.He has developed a very effective "nothing" rig in which he pioneered the use of the latest technological developement in hooks.They are called FULL CIRCLE HOOKS and gaurantee all fish are released without harm,or any lactic acid buildup due to playing them.;) :cool: :)

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm telling ya, people don't give shrimp enough credit. I fish shrimp all the time. It's a good clean bait that allways works. You just have to play around and find out what kind and size works best where you fish. I also like the fact that they fit circle hooks perfect.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I tend to shy away from Shrimp as the handful of times I tried it I never had any luck. I do know the pay laker have good luck with them but that may be because of the smell from pellets. (is shrimp and fish based)

Cut bait seems to always work well on the GMR for me, weather its cut shad ( seems to be the best), Skip jacks worked this winter to some degree and even cut carp or quilbacks, suckers or whatever, cut into fillets about 1 inch wide buy 1.5 inches long, some folk scale the fillet some dont, personal preference

Good luck and I hope to see you on June 17th for our GMR outing at West Carrolton.
    Let me know if you need any details
    Salmonid

5. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Shrimp are awesome!!! I fish the Ohio River from the Rising Sun area and I have had some really good luck on it. We even use them almost like a little jig and throw it up on the beach and let it bounce along the bottom. We use this many times to just catch something...normally it is just smaller ones up along the beach but every fish counts when you are fishing tournaments. I have even hooked a very large carp on shrimp.

6. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Someone said on here a couple years ago that the effectiveness of shrimp is based on the amount of crawfish in the water you are fishing. Lotta crawfish, shrimp is good, little or no crawfish, shrimp is bad. I know there are several rivers I fish that shrimp works pretty good, and a couple others that shrimp gets you a big fat nothing.
    Rat

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    What size cats are you catching on shrimp are they just eaters maybe up to ten pounds or do you catch some trophies with them occasionally. I used them maybe twice but caught nothing.

8. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    now that is funny right there!

9. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana

Jason from my experience channels tend to be the best takers on the shrimp, and some blues. Generally I have normally caught eater size and up to like the 10 pound range. I have heard of people catching some nice size ones on shrimp too. The reason we use them many times is either just trying to get our limit early in a tournament, and just for the fun of catching fish. Try it sometime on a bass pole and a shrimp like a bass jig...that is a fun fun fun fight.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    weve had pretty good luck with shrimp.
    and since we tend to fish 3 or 4 of the same lakes over and over
    we have had success and not had success useing shrimp in the same manner and same water i tend to believe thats its appetite more than anything else that and maybe fish move around a bit sometimes they arent in the same areas.
    the hog my son caught in my profile pic was caught useing shrimp.
    some say shrimp is too high but if you look at the amount per pound between worms and shrimp its cheaper;)

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Good thing I am in eastern NC then, shrimp is pretty cheap.

12. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Were you useing live or dead shrimp? I'm kinda curious bout that.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :) That was fuuny. Man you got me good, in fact thta was +19 Rep Points!

"H2O Mellon, catcher of NOTHING & I'm VERY Good At It"

Monsterkat, you & Travis will have to hook up w/ me soon, maybe even this weekend for a couple hours & I'll help you a little bit. If you & Travis give me a ½ day I think you guys will land your personal best channels.

14. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bryan, Regarding the following comment:
    "If you & Travis give me a ½ day I think you guys will land your personal best channels"
    Thats awful nice of you to hire Jack or Dink to show them around, but I know deep down, youll be in the shadows with the binoculars trying to pick up a few tips yourself. Heck youll probably have those guys wired as we all know how the Catfish Mafia works....:rolleyes:

Salmonid

15. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana

We just buy the cheap Uncooked frozen shrimp from the local Krogers or Wal-Mart. The best thing to do is to not take the whole bag out with you because after you freeze and thaw them out a few times they get nasty. Many times i keep them frozen and just use a lighter to thaw them out. We also take the exoskeleton off of them, because the cats like them soft. They said that whole shrimp is even better if you want to put out the money at a local market. I have never tried live, but i am sure it probably woulnd't work half bad.

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dweel
    i use raw (dead) shrimp .
    wally supercenter has the 2lb. bags for around 7-8 bux

i sure would like to get ahold of raw shrimp with the heads still on them
    i think they might work even better.

we have even takein and put a marshmallow on with a piece of shrimp
    the suicide of delicious

17. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    DRC....if I was you I would look around for a better price for the frozen ones. Last summer we were only spending around $3 to $4 per 2lb bag. Also look around for somesort of market place that sells almost anything and I am sure they would have some full body shrimp for you.