I finally got my flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loki1982, Apr 28, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In my other post wiht my big blue I mentioned I had never caught a flathead after 15 or so years of catfishing, including juggin and trotlines I had never caught a Flathead. Last weekend my Dad and I went to Lake Ray Robert a lake north of Fort Worth Texas. After several hours of catching no bait in my net, and by several I mean 100+ cast over 3 hours in 1 foot, to 40 foot of water. We finally found a school of shad and got about 80 in 2 throws. We had fished Ray Roberts in about 5+ years and had no idea where to start. My goal from the start was to get a flathead weather it be on a jug or rod and reel. The map we had showed a large area of stumps about a 10 minute drive form our camp. We put out 6 jugs with live Shad(unable to catch any perch). We tied out to a log 30 feet form one jug and put our poles in the water. 15 minutes later the jug went under and stayed under for 5 or so seconds. Knowing we had a decent fish on we pulled the lines up, pulled up on the jug and pulled up my first flathead. 11# flathead caught on live shad 5 foot under the surface in 20-22 foot of water at 10:00 am. Through out the rest of the day, and in the morning we managed to get 8 other cats 2-4# 1/2 blues and 1/2 channels.

The pics are below. As much as I enjoyed the fishing, when I got home and took the pics off my digital camera I was in amazement at the shots of the sun setting behind the trees that I got that night. I am almost as thrilled about them as the fish I caught. Check these fish, and scenic shots out

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/savagevamp2000/album?.dir=/c2d0scd

2. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    dude nice flattie! congratulations...i'm still waiting on my bigun' :lol:

3. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    nice flatty once you get started you never wont to stop you will see them in your dreams and the bait alarm will wake you up grabin for your rod.nice job and keep up the good luck:big_smile:

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Some nice fish there. I think I would be run'in some more jugs or a trotline in that area. Another thing I noticed,,, that water in the lake is clean and clear!!! We don't have that up here:(

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jared,

Nice fish there! Thanks for sharing.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Really nice flattie. Great photos as well. Thanks for sharing and hope the rest of the season is as good.

7. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    great fish...glad you were about to finally get ya one....

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice flat and nice pics, thanks for sharing!

9. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's a nice fish. Thanks for sharing the pics.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    As far as trotlining and jugging. We usually only do those when were low on meat and arnt catching much on poles. I much perfer to catch fish on poles over jugs. We did have other jugs that day and night and caught some more cats, all blues and channels though.

Yeah the water was very clear. When I would throw my cast net I could still see the white ring when it hit the bottom in 10 foot of water,so clearity was probably about 10-12 foot. I have a feeling that might have been why bait was hard to get.

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Way to go Jared, I hope I get my first one all the way into the boat soon even if its a itty bitty one.

ST

12. Dav1

Dav1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Avery nice mess of fish. Your pictures are awesome

13. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    good job Jared now you wont be able to stop thinking flathead