I finally got a flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by knapperheadmatt, May 19, 2006.

1. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i starting to think the only way i was gonna get a flat head is if someone hit me with a shovel. i caught one yesterday in 18' on a wally world strike king jug line baited with a 3" perch.i t weighed 6.5 lbs. it was awesome , he pulled that jug under and ran with it just like jaws:eek:oooh: . now i need to get one on rod and reel. how small is too small for perch. i had a bunch that were 1-2" long but let them go opting for the 3-4" ones.thanks for all of ya'll s help.
    matt

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on your first flattie! I'd use the 1-2",I've caught many flatties on 1-2" bluegill so I don't see why they wouldn't work as well.

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio

i agree,if its live use it flats love live bait so any size works

4. mallard

mallard New Member

State:
    ks
    I feel bigger is better, I use perch the size of my hand for flats. But any size will work. Congrats on the flat.

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I have caught a 1 1/2 lb flathead on a 4-5 inch green perch, I have caught a 15lb flathead on a 2-3 gill. Just put on what bait you have and hope for the best. They will eat what they want no matter the size!!!

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Great news!! glad you got one.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'll use whatever I can get if the bait is coming slow. But when I have a choice I always opt for large. I use 10 to 15 inch shad,6 to 12 inch crappie and gills and bass. 1 to 2 lb baby carp and drum. In the river a bigger bait just gives me more confidence that a flathead can hear my bait struggling than a smaller one. Plus the smaller ones don't do so well in heavier current they tend to die easily.

8. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks for the replies, next time i'll experiment more. s-man, i think a lot of anglers would be happy catching what you call bait. that's big:eek:oooh:
    thanks again and good luck.
    matt

9. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    The laws must be different in Ohio, if we get caught using Crappie or Bass they would lock us up forever.
    I wouldn't use any game fish anyway.

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Congrats on your first flathead. I usually use bluegills, sunfish, and goldfish between 3-6" long, crappie around 6", and freshwater drum and creek chubs up to 10-12".

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great job on that first flattie! Just keep trying and you'll get them on rod and reel in no time!

12. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    first time out this year and first fish of the year so far many more to come

13. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    the pic is of the one i caught last night at 1:30 on a chup it was 15lbs

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Matt, congrats on your first "Big Ugly". Way to go. Any live bait will work but the bigger the bait, the bigger the bite!

15. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    congrats on your first flat

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats! Bet you're hooked now huh?! :tounge_out: