I finally caught one - 14lbs at that!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Tros, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's a shame I didn't get a photo of it, because it's by far my largest catfish I've ever caught. I caught it using a medium action spincast setup with 12lb line. I used a size 1 J-hook from Eagle Claw, and a simple split-shot weight. All I was doing was letting the river current bounce my worm down the river, and I managed to catch that bad-boy.

At first, I honestly thought I caught another snag, but when I lifted up my rod tip to follow the line direction (To see if I could work the snag loose) I could of swore I felt movement so I held the tip up... Sure enough, I had one on. My brother was just down the river, and he asked me if I actually had one or was screwing around. When he came over to see what's going on the fish finally started moving with force... It sure was a sluggish, yet strong, fish. I worked up to the shore line only to realize I don't have a net, and on top of that, when the fish saw me, he went for his second run from the shore. After another three or four minutes I got it close enough to the shore to go into the water and snatch it up.

After admiring a fish that measured from my mid-stomach to the ground I told my brother I was throwing it back; to which my brother responded with some select words that challenged my sanity. I released the flathead only then, as the fish swam out of sight did it strike me that I didn't take a picture...

I guess this means I just need to catch something larger to post on the forum, huh? I realize 14lbs isn't much to some of you guys, but I am extremely happy at what I managed today.

2. wisco_fisher

wisco_fisher New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    hell yea, 14lb is a nice size flathead.. the bigger ones are just around the corner. congrarts! :D

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good job dude, welcome to the Boc

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Great job Chris, you didi good! Thanks for the report and keep up the good work!

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice job brother! Congrats on your first one! It sure would have made for a good avatar pic:wink:. Im sure you'll get another sooner than you think!

6. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Welcome to the boc,and congrats on a very nice first flathead.
    Just a suggestion though,you might want to beef up your gear and bait if you are serious about not only hooking a big one,but actually landing a big flathead.Read the postings on this forum for all the tips and tricks to get on bigger fish.If its not on the boc,it probley dosent pertain to catfish.....every rig,bait,rod,reel,spots,you name it, its coverd here.And the search option is very helpfull for specific questions.Good luck.

7. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Congrats on the catch im still working on my first Flat and blue. Welcome to the Boc Also :wink:

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    congrats on your first fish and I must say 14 is one hellova start!!!!! my first one was maybe, maybe a pound lol. either way congrats and keep fishin the bigger ones will come

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Now you got the fever, go get a bigger one.

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great job catching your first flatty.I caught my first one last spring a 28 lber..I had forgot my camera too..My fishing partner had a disposable and got a pic but its not a good pic and I don't have it on the computer..Congrats again and welcome to the BOC.

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    NICE FISH!!! I'll take a 14 lber any day of the week.... Keep at it and the big boys will come...

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats Chris. Welcome to the BOC.

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats Chris on the catch an welcome to the BOC.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations Chris on your first Flathead. 14lbs is a nice first flathead. My first one ever weighed 7 lbs...caught on a live shiner in 40' of water. I was proud of it too. It was just the beginning of what has turned out to be a rather successful flathead hunt! You said you caught it on a worm....worms are great bait at the right time and place. I once caught a 32 lb Flathead on 8 nightcrawlers all wadded up on a j hook. I wasnt getting a bite until I decided to reel'em and go home. As soon as I began to reel them in....It felt as though I was snagged on the bottom and then the fight began. If your fishing for the bigguns....try some live baits such as bream, bluegills, greenies, bullheads ect., ect. It'll be no time at all and you'll be posting pics of the big boys. Welcome to the BOC!:cool2:

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Congrats on your first!!!!I got my first then 2 weeks later I landed my PB hang in there the big ones will come :wink:

16. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    congradulation on ur pb flathead, but u stick with it and bigger ones will follow, soon i hope!!! good job and good luck:wink:

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the fish! 14LB fish can put up a great fight!

18. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree about using beefier gear. I was happy I didn't throw in my ultra-light that day, haha. Truth be told though, anything I've ever caught in that area never seemed to pass the 7-8lb mark, and the average size is typically 1-3lbs, so I didn't think I needed much. That is also the reason I stuck with a smaller size 1 hook and worm; I wasn't expecting anything like the flathead. I guess now that I'm focusing on catfish, I should probably think twice about what gear I take with me. :eek:oooh:

19. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you would of seen the look on my face as the fish glided into the depths, you would of got a laugh out of it. I think the message forum smilies pretty much sum it up.
    :big_smile: :cool2: :eek:oooh: :crazy: :confused2: :embarassed:

lol

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris congrats on the 14 pound flathead. Welcome to the Brotherhood.