I finally caught a hawg...my new PB!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by KScatwoman, May 4, 2007.

1. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    Place- Ninnescah River, south central Kansas
    Gear- Zebco 33 Rhino/Rhino Glotip rod, 10# mono with a bass casting sinker and a 3/0 circle hook
    Bait- 2" dead green sunfish that had been marinating in garlic salt

I found a promising spot under a bridge, baited up & cast in. I was baiting my other rod, when the line suddenly started SCREAMING out against the drag like I'd snagged a motor boat. Yeehaw! :cool2:

I fought that dang thing (channel cat) for a solid 45 minutes, including a couple of very close calls involving a brush pile...but I finally was able to get his front end into my landing net. The back half didn't fit! I ended up clubbing him with a hunk of driftwood so I could get it on shore before one or both of us went into the river LOL. I do not know what he weighed, but I have a large fish basket and he would not fit thru the opening. The length has got to be close to 36" (I have no tape measure..grr). :0a5:

I left soon afterwards, as the heat and bugs were getting to me- but I got some monsterous fillets off that fish that will probably last me for a week! I just wish I had a camera so I could have taken a few pics of this brute before I dressed him out for dinner.

As I mentioned above, this is a channel cat (forked tail, wrong head for a flattie) but he had exactly the same greenish/yellow mottled color that a flattie has. Bizarre.

2. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    Crud...I don't know how to edit the post, sorry- but I forgot to mention something really interesting up there!

This fish had the biggest stomach I'd ever seen- so for giggles & grins I cut it open. It had what looked like a rat, along what might have been a snake and something that could possibly have been a bluegill/sunfish at one point. There was also what I think was originally a deer foot/hoof. Most of it was pretty badly dissolved, except for the rat (or some kind of big rodent thing), which was pretty much intact. Apparently this guy had found himself a nice lil' place to hide & pig out!!

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    on your great catch. However next time please carry a camera along.I carry one of those deposable cameras .They take good pics and are cheap.We would of love to of seen that brute. Congrads just the same. I'm still try for mine.

4. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great job! I wish you could have taken some pics. Congrats and I hope you have even better luck next time.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates on the catch but i dont know if i could eat something that just eat a rat.:roll_eyes: maybe it didnt get into his blood stream before you cleaned him.:lol:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats pn your PB. Interesting stomach contents. Sounds like my neighbor. He eats everything he gets his hands on and eats all the time. Thanks for sharing.:lol: :roll_eyes:

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know that was alot of fun! I am anxious to catch my brute!! Yes please carry a camra so we can see the pictures!!:lol:

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    way to go sister, keep after them.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice catch, congrats.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U did a good job, but now its time to upgrade ur gear. :lol:

11. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Great job on the PB! Keep it up.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congratulation on the big fish. You must not be aware of how rare a 36 inch channel cat is. That is truly a monster and maybe even a record. Most folks on here won't kill a fish that rare. Really big fish are dangerous to eat because all the mercury the fish as been in contact with during it's life is stored in it's meat. Smaller fish haven't been around long enough to have a build up in their system. I really don't want to be telling you what to do but you would be much safer if you ate only small amounts of the big fish no more than 2 times a month.

Great catch, again congrats

Danny

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i have a catfish book with age and growth information i thought i would share with you since you didnt get to weight the fish. the typical weight of a 36 inch channel cat would be 20.4lbs. as far as age of the fish i have a north fish at 19.7 inches would be 9 years old and in the south a 9 year old fish would be 24.3 inches. ages only go to 9 years and the lenght only goes to 36 in my book. just a little information for ya. i dont know how accurate this book is though.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sounds like an awesome time! congrats on your new pb!

15. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Now you know the spot go get another one.

16. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Congrats on the big boy. Now you have the spot get another one

17. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Not very original but..Congrats and great job!!:big_smile:

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    nice fish, let us know how it tastes. i have never eaten a channel that big. I ate a couple 15lbers and they tasted like they were swimmin in sewer plant.

19. Chad32

Chad32 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds about right. Nice fish, BTW... :cool2:

20. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas

HAHAHA DATS FUNNY RITE DER!!!!