I fell in love!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My wife and I went out to eat last nite....when we got done....we were walking back to the Blazer...and there was a pet shop.

We stopped in to let my 7 yr old daughter look at the puppies.

Well...as she was checking them out...I wandered over by the birds and was watching them squawk, play, and carry on.

The sales girl came over...and asked me if I'd like to hold one of them.

I said sure...I like that Cockatoo...as long as it doesn't bite.

She gets him out...he's a sulfur crested Cockatoo...9 months old...and about the size of an adult crow.

He doesn't like me much at first...until I showed him my old set of work keys I had in my pocket....and then he was on my shoulder...playing with the keys...pausing every once in awhile to rub his head up against my cheek...snuggling with me...but what he really wanted was the little bean on top of my hat...Lol.

Well...I played with him for about an hour...and then we had to go.

I'd have taken him home with me...if he didn't cost freaking $3000!

I told my mother-in-law about him...and she wanted to go fill out a credit app and see if she could get him.

I walked up to the cage...and he remembered me...he started squawking, screeching, and raising hell trying to get out of that cage.

The lady lets him out...and he goes straight to me...picking up right where he left off...trying to pluck the bean off the top of my cap...Lol.

We played for awhile...she filled out the credit app...they won't know anything until Monday.

I hope I...er...ahh..I mean...she gets the bird! Lol

2. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i hope that you get him and if you do what will you name him? but any way i wish you the best of luck:wink:

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I might be mistaking but, don't they live for a long time? It would be an investment not a purchase!:smile2:

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Long lived. Unless they do something and you end up getting some Shake N Bake and some stuffing.

First thing I thought of, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GipFyAsYK1M

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Rocky was what I...err...ahh...we.. thought we'd name him

70 years according to Wikkipedia

LMAO...that'd be the most expensive baked bird you ever had...I Googled Cockatoo...and eventually ended up at You Tube...looking at the Cockatoo videos...LMAO...those birds have major character!!

The way I understand it...they thrive on attention...and they are notorious clowns...very intelligent...and tend to be loyal to one person.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Sulfurs are gorgeous!! cockatoos need alot of personal attention to be happy as they are very social birds (more so then other parrots). they are long lived and will need a variety of toys and a good pelleted bird food. with lots of other treats like pasta, fruits, veggies and such. Get a book on them while your there!! When I managed a petshop that was my biggest quirk. People will shell out all the dough to buy something but wont invest a little in a book to learn what care it needs only to come back asking why is it screaming or plucking all its feathers out or laying on the bottom of its cage. I had to sell my white capped pionus after my wife had our daughter. It was jelousy issues and no matter what he'd scream if he saw cassie or heard her because it worked for her when she cried so it should work for him. He also got agressive if he saw her. he was a family member and I cried when I was giving him over to someone else.

Attached Files:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My luck it would be laying feet up before I got home. Have to stay with dogs... sigh.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When I was a teenager we had a double yellow headed Amazon. My great aunt had a Mexican redhead.
    Ours lived maybe 6 years. She became eggbound.
    The Mexican redhead died (probally 10-12 years old) while my aunt was visiting our house with him in tow. She had him autopsied here at the vet school at NC State.
    Cause of death, sclerosis of the liver.
    He always did like his scotch with a good meal.

Now that bird ate at the table with everyone else. Flip the chair around backwards to give him a perch and he ate vegetables off a plate and drank his scotch from a glass. He never did talk. Ours did.

Before you spend 3 grand on a bird be aware, cages are expensive. The bigger the bird the more they cost.
    Before you buy, make sure you have a veterinarian in your area that handles birds. Alot of them dont. They require periodic vet visits.
    Birds usually attach to one person. They love all over one person and bite the crap out of everyone else. Every parrot I've ever been around was like this. They'll draw blood quick.

Now the story of how we wound up with a bird and my parents being super conservatives.
    THEY DIDNT BUY IT. More on this.

My great uncle owned the redhead and lived in Maryland. His sister (my grandmother) lived here in NC alone. He loved his bird so much he figured she would love one too. He brought her down a bird and 2 cages. One travelling cage and a big cage.
    She hated that bird. Some months later my uncle died. We were down at grandmas one Sunday and getting ready to leave she said, take that bird with you. We took the bird.

Now the more on this.
    There are groups that take in unwanted birds around the country.
    These birds are up for adoption. You might find one for next to nothing by going this route.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks for the FYI...it's appreciated greatly!

I'm sorry for your loss.

I know I'm fixing to shed some tears myself...my 14 year old Chocolate Lab is declining in health...I'm nearing the point that I've dreaded...I've been saying for the past few years that if she begins to hurt too much...I'd have her put down...I feel in my gut that the day is drawing nearer.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Great stories Mark....I sure do appreciate the information...I need all the help I can get....as sometimes you can research all you want...but other peoples experiences are the most valuable info as long as it is useful enough to draw upon.

The $3000 price tag is something I personally would have a problem with paying...not because I don't have it...or could get much more than that with the swipe of a card...but...WOW...3 K for a pet...any pet...just seems like too much when I could do better things with that money.

I never have been an impulsive person...and I'm stingy* with my money because I try to stay in perspective with how hard I have to work to make that much.

* Except when it comes to buying fishing supplies or a new gun...Lol.

I also realize that a pet store is most certainly NOT the place to buy any kind of pet...besides perhaps a fish...because the markup is unreal.

Case in point...I have always wanted a Scottish Terrrier ever since I was a kid.

Well...at the same shop they had a Scotty...the price tag was $1200. :eek:oooh:

I asked one of the sales reps where they get their dogs at...she said mostly from local breeders.

What that tells me is that I could get the same dog from the want ads in the Joplin Globe or the Big Nickle (A local buy/sell publication)...for $200 or $300.

You said something about an adoption service for birds...would you be able to hook me up with such a thing Mark?

I've never heard of such a thing in this area...and there probably isn't one locally...but maybe there would be one around Kansas City or perhaps Tulsa, Oklahoma....if nothing else...maybe just steer me in the right direction.

Thanks again for the FYI.

Brian

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I noticed that about the price of the cage...$450 for the size cage I'd want.

There is a vet next door to the pet shop that handles birds.

The potential for a serious bite has already been realized...Lol.

He was wanting to bite me when I first took him on my arm from the sales rep...that is until I bribed him with my keys...lol.

He didn't want to go back to the rep after he warmed up to me...and tried to bite her when she tried to take him...and he's used to her! (although it seemed like he didn't like her very much for some reason)

We seemed to hit it off pretty good.

But...today...when we went back to fill out the credit ap for my mother-in-law...I had him again and we were playing...my mother-in-law reached towards him to try to touch him...and he latched onto her finger...she sprung a leak for several minutes. I like this bird already...Lol. :smile2:

I found that if he tried to bite...don't jerk away...he seemed to want to pursue the matter further if you did...instead...grab him by the top beak and twist...saying in a stern voice...NO! DAMMIT!...he'd get the picture and quit...Lol.

He was intrigued by the bean on top of my hat...as well as my ears...although he did get ahold of me a few times while he was behind my head on the back of my neck where I couldn't see what he was doing...but it seemed like he was just playing around with me...it didn't hurt at all...just a little nip...felt about like a VERY light pinch.

He had a thing for the zip tie I have on my broken key ring too.

In one way...I hope we get him...as if the credit goes through for my mother-in-law...we'll be taking him home.

But in another way...$3000 just seems like too much...no matter that it won't cost me a dime....and she does have the means to make her payments....and I'll end up with the bird in the end...as she is one of those impulsive types that goes for the flavor of the month.

However...he is an AWESOME bird...has a sweet disposition...tons of character and charisma...and he is beautiful to boot.

I know I'm the type that wouldn't get bored with him...also I'm good with animals.

Although he'd probably end up learning some words I didn't intend on him learning...Lol.

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
  13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks for the link Chad...I'll look into it.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The only bird I'd pay $3000 for would come with license plates....like a Falcon, or a Thunderbird, or a Skylark!!! LOL

15. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    wow 3grand for a bird.... i hate birds.. only good place for them is right next to the potatoes and gravy :wink: haha but no really have fun with ur birdy we had one when i was little but it always bit me.. so one day i let it out the window HAHAHA and i REALLY hope my parents dont read this cuz they dont know it was me hahaha

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm with you Willie, we have a cockatoo, and I did not buy it. Several years ago it showed up out by the chicken house eating outside . lol lol We brought it in the house, climbed right on my sons finger, Then the wife spent 45 dollars on a cage at a flea market. I was grouchy about that free bird costing so much.

Now 450 for a cage, lol, you could build a cyclone fence dog pen cheaper, with a poured concrete floor and a roof. lol lol.

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I too am an animal lover,folks just don't understand what we animal lovers see in our pete but they actually do become like our flesh and blood kids. I really hope you get your bird.I have been reading your posts and to me they are truly heartwarming. GoodLuck Brother. If you get him take really good care of him cause I think from the sounds of your posts he has fallen in love with you!~~~~~~~~~~~~Sister Pat:big_smile:

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thank you...I appreciate the kind words.

I've always been an animal lover...but this is the first time I've ever felt that way about a bird....they just never appealed to me in the sense that....say a dog or a horse could.

You could actually see the light and intelligence in this animals eyes.

I hate to see any animal like that in a display cage...you know he sees hundreds of people a day...and the workers there are not allowed to get attached to the products...yet he still had a loving personality and would show genuine affection.

The deal rides on my mother-in-laws credit app...I still can't imagine paying $3000 for a pet...plus supplies...but I'd sure be more than willing to help her take care of it.

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well good luck Brian. My mother-in-law is 95 years old & I have been giving her the bird for bout 28 years now. May your story have a happy ending.
    :eek:oooh:

20. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Now that would be a cool pet!
    Bill