I don't understand all them fancy rigs, so...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, May 25, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    ...Will this rig work?

If I just put a bream on a kahle hook and just tie the hook to the line and tie a sinker on the line about a foot below it, can you catch cats like that?

2. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Your setup sounds like a drop rig, if it is then the answer is yes. The drop rig is mainly what I use.

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Honestly you dont need to be fancy with your rig. Most of the time I have a wieght tied on and a hook. Thats it.

Having a more complicated rig does 2 things. It does present your bait in different way which can help with hang ups, and presentation. It also generally means more work and more money when you lose it.

Ive caught catfish on nothing but a hook and bait with no weight, to stinger rigs with swivels, 2 hooks, a bobber and leader.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Certainly a hook on a piece of line will work (works pretty much every nite around the country on Limp/Bank lines and jugs) ...
    The "fancy" rigs discussed are different options for various situations/presentations/or patterns you can use.
    There is no "Best" rig/line/reel/rod/technique/tackle . They all have their place, and they all work. Some work better at times depending on various things... The only REAL best is whatever works for you and are confident/comfortable with..

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've fished like that a lot. It works for me!!!:big_smile:

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I use Carolina Slip 99% of the time I fish. Easy to do and works well.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    For most catfishing situations with live bait, use a carolina rig. You can control how far your bait can travel with the leader, and/or a couple pulls of line from the free-spool. You will come across conditions such as deep whitewater under dams, or rocky or woody stretches where a 3way, float rig, or modified slip will be better. But overall go with a main line, then add a sinker or sinker slide (weight to be added later), then a bead or air-line tubing, (I like the tubing), then tie on your swivel. Next choose your leader material, ( same lb as main ,or lighter, up to you) Tie your hook to one end of the leader and the other end to your swivel. Since you know how long your leader is (go with 12 to 18 inches), once you cast pull in your bait till it hits your sinker and you know exactly how far away your bait is from the structure you are fishing. This way you can gauge how close you need to cast to present your bait where you want.

8. Silverback

Silverback New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nothing wrong with sticking too the "K.I.S.S." strategy, a line and a hook is all you have too have.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am mostly a slip bobber fisherman, but I do use a three way rig sometimes.

10. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    As long as you have a hook with bait on it in the water I think you'll be in good shape. A easy rig to use is put a an egg sinker or bank sinker on your line first then tie a swivel on in front of that. Next tie a 12 to 18 inch leader with your hook to the swivel. Pretty simple slip rig set up.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    when im bottom fishing, i like use to a float rig. you have the heavy sinker on bottom, and the dropper loop and hook about a foot above the sinker with a very small crappie float under the dropper loop. that will hold your sinker on bottom with the bait suspended by the float which will keep it from being covered by mud or algae. the fish can see it better that way.