I don't think my boat's engine is running at top notch

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tntitans21399, May 19, 2009.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't think my boat's engine is running at top notch and it is a old engine, 70's or so, but one of my friends said he heard from a mechanic that if the carbs might be dirty because I have been going through so many spark plugs and lacking power when others are in the boat. He said to get a entire can of carb cleaner and spray the whole can into the carb. Then let it sit over night. Then when you start it up it will smoke for the first couple of moments but it will brun and clean up everything in it.

Has anyone heard of this or done that?

2. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Try some SEAFOAM, follow directions on the bottle. I had an old Johnson with the same problem. Dump some in the carbs. & some in the gas tank & I think some in the cylinders I can't remember for sure, but it tells you on the bottle. Works great to clean old carbon deposits & gunk out. I can buy it at our local farm supply store, Most automotive stores probably sell it too.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    When I have had carb trouble it would bog down and not turn up RPMs.
    and it would not run at slow speed under a load for very long. If the
    boat stays in the water and the hull is dirty it will kill your speed when
    loaded.

4. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Buddy: I used the seaform in the gas tank before, but not putting it down the carb.

Poppa: I keep my boat on the trailer so I don't have anything growing on the bottom to slow it down. When I do start the engine it doesn't want to stay on and cuts off. I usually have to put it in neutral and give it some gas and when I put it in gear I have to give it some gas or it will cut off. Does that sound like what you might have had before?

5. Corndogg69

Corndogg69 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Never spray any cleaner down inside the carbs. Especially if the boat is running. It will wash away the lubrication (oil) from the cylinder walls and destroy the engine. Believe me, it cost me dearly. I can't tell you how to clean them, but I can tell you how NOT too. :big_smile:

6. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    Don't put a can of carb cleaner in your motor, use Sea Foam or some other decarbon product. 2 strokes need the lubrication you will find in decarbonating products.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I think its either carbs or top end. Top end trouble can be broken ring
    or blowed head gasket. If you run a compression check it will tell you
    if its top end trouble. Cylinders should br close to equal. I had a 1978
    55 Johnson that had the exact some problems. Broke ring. Hopefully
    its the carbs.

8. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Chris, I had a similar problem with a 1976 15HP Johnson that I bought this year. It would not idle. I had to throttle it up to keep it running. It would surge at full throttle, I could tell it had more power but it would just surge at full power for a second then slow down. I rebuilt the carberator and it fixed the problem. I didn't notice anything wrong in the carberator and it looked fairly clean, but I cleaned all the orfices anyway. It runs good now.

9. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yeah redneck that is what I'm thinking because I did a compression test before and both cylinders and they were only about I think 3 numbers off. I might do another test and write down the numbers but I want to say the last time it was either in the 160 or 190, but I'm not 100% because it has been awhile.

I might just need to get the carbs redone. I bought the boat in Jan 2007 and the pervious owner said they put one a new carb and motor overhauled in 2006, but it has ran the same the whole time I have had it so their hasn't been any drop off and in 2007 I took it out 1-2 times a weekend that year. I wasn't able to use it much last year and would like to get it in top shape, well for a old engine atleast.