I don't like bowfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catch & release, Apr 27, 2008.

1. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    You now know my opinion, I was just curious to see how y'all felt about bowfishing at Santee (or anywhere for that matter). I have several friends that are avid bowfishermen at Santee. They are currently fishing in a tournament (total weight wins the $). Catfish are their primary target as they generally weigh more than the other species. They stopped by my house yesterday morning and opened a 55 gallon drum that they had darn near filled to the top with mostly flatheads and blues. They usually sell what they can, and I don't even want to know what they do with the rest of them......there's only so much fish any man can eat. They normally fish 2-3 nights per week and have harvested some huge fish over the years.

Don't get me wrong, bowfishing is just as legal as the way I fish. Alot of the guys that do it on the Santee system are close friends of mine. I don't hate them, I just hate bowfishing. They have just as much right to hate rod and reel fishing I suppose. What scares me the most is it seems that their sport is growing.

Many years ago I liked to show off a big fish when I'd catch one. Now I get 10 times more satisfaction and a sense of pride by removing the hook and watching them swim off. I'm neither right nor wrong, these are just my opinions

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree 100%
    Bill in SC

3. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    if they are within the limits of the law i guess there is not much you can say. but here in oklahoma if your caught selling fish without the needed licenses your in very serious trouble. just ask the guys busted for selling spoonbill roe. i would suggest complaining to the wildlife department and try to get the laws changed. not much else you can do.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Who ever is running the tournament is the one responsible for the whole sale slaughter just as much as the guy pulling back the bow. Convince him and you cut the problem in half. What you have to consider though is the big picture. If it is legal in your state then there must be a reason. If you try to operate and maintain a fishery just from a feel good ideology you will soon deplete the specie that you are trying to protect. You might as well join PETA and go for all fishing and hunting and in the long run over populate every thing and let them die from disease...... Now you know how I feel.:big_smile:

5. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I bowfish in Louisiana and you can shoot catfish here too. The club I fish in we do not count catfish. You can shoot them to eat but they can not be counted as weight. The people I bowfish with eat the catfish they shoot.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    In Mo you can not shoot catfish. I would think that there would be a limit on catfish just as with hood and line fishing. If there is no limit on catfish for bowfishing I think I would go to the DNR and see what I had to do to get a limit on the catfish. I do bowfish here in Mo some and enjoy it but follow all the laws.

Tom

7. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i love bowfishing.here in missouri we can only shoot "trash fish" which is carp,gar, and drum. i dont think id shoot a catfish even if it was legal just becuase i like catching them on rod and reel to much. and all the carp we shoot we use as bait so we get double the fun

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you one hundred percent, me personally I havent ever bow fished and never attend on doing it its a shame to hear that people are shooting fish and they are dieing, I would rather catch them on a pole and hook and throw them back that way someone else can have the chance to catch them and when you shoot them it kills them, its sad to hear that they was having tournament like that and selling the fish, I agree with you a man can only eat so much fish at a time, I guess everyone has there own opinion on it but I wish that they would stick to the old way of catching fish, with a pole and hook.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to bowfish alot when i lived in Ark. We also only shot trash fish, carp and gar. Seen a guy shoot a nutria rat one nite, not good. I always enjoyed shooting carp but don't agree with killing any game fish or cats.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...if they are within the limits of the law i guess there is not much you can say..."

I think I hate this response as much as I hate bowfishing!! :angry:

I get sick and tired of all the comments in the line of thinking of, "as long as it is legals it is ok." No it is not ok. Lots of things are legal that are not right, good, or in the best thing to do, especially where wildlife conservation is concerned.

Sure you can say something about it, and you should! It is your right as an American, furthermore your right as a sportsman.

11. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Netmanjack makes a good point and is one I have pondered. One thing that has to happen in any fishery is X number of fish have to be removed in order to keep that lake or river healthy. Trust me when I say I have removed my share. I applaud the efforts of the SCDNR to at least show that they recognize the importance of catfishing at Santee as recognized by the size limits recently imposed. The Santee system is still a great catfishery and I hope the SCDNR will put more focus on the species I love to chase.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ed I feel your PAIN man I love to catch them and release those big ones. The person that is putting on these tournaments is a freind of mine and 1 of my largest tournament sponsors but I hammer hime hot and heavy every chance I get. I dont like it at all matter of fact I hate and I hate even more that they call it FISHING I would clasify it under hunting instead. I wsih they would just stick to Mudfish, Gars, and Carp.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Who puts on the tournament?

We might as well get it out in the open so we can voice our opinions to them. :wink:

If they are a commerical entity, then the dollars they lose from sponsoring such an event may outweigh the gain from doing so if enough people voice they disdain. :sad2:

Nothing wrong with harvesting fish for the table, but we all know that the bowhunters are after BIG fish. No one wants to risk damaging a $10 arrow and head on a three pound fish, not to mention they can't hit the small ones as easily.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont have a problem with bow fishing for rough fish. but for sport i dont believe in killing them if your just leaving them. i would bow fish. for fish to eat. but to shoot gar to leave em for waste. nope. not me.

15. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I myself am a bow fisherman on the santee lakes. I also trotline, setline and fish with rod and reel. I want to say that i think its up to the person doing it but i also think you should not take fish to sell to support the whole bowfishing thing. I use all the fish i get and relese the fish when i have some in the freezer. I know you can't throw back the fish when bowfishing and i think you should not shoot the large fish. theres plenty of smaller cats that are out there and a smaller target makes it a little more skilled then shooting the larger fish. everyone won't agree with everything so to argue the points don't get anywhere and allows people to do it for spite..
    WELL, THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT!

GARY:big_smile:

16. Doesn't the 1 cat 36" long apply also to bowhunters as well? i sure hope so.
    At the very least they would only be able to get 1 over 36".(santee only)
    Unfortunately that would not include flathead. Having cats as a gamefish would solve the problem but, we know how difficult getting that designation would be. If catfish are important enough to limit the size of
    catch then they be important enough to exclude from bowfishing (IMHO).
    Carp seem to me to be very plentiful and would not be too shabby at weigh-in for bow tourneys.

17. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, Im not a bowfisherman and I dont think we have the right to condem those guys for pursuing their sport. Wonder what they think when they put in at night and pick their way through 45 boats anchored in the canal with 6 to 10 rods each hanging off them ???? The most bowfishing boats Ive ever seen on any night at Santee was 2 and Im not sure it wasnt the same boat twice. Sure, once they shoot the fish theres no chance to release it but is that any worse than putting on a tournament during spawning season and pulling 40 blues off the beds and turning them loose 10 miles away ??? I enjoy and support the catfishing tournaments and will continue to be one of those 45 boats anchored in the canal with rods fanned out everywhere......but I dont think the bowfisherman is endangering the catfish population anywhere near as much as we are with rods and reels........just my opinion

18. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I know here in Alabama bowfishing is considered fishing and not hunting so I would think the same laws would apply. Its a shame to kill so many large fish, no matter the method.

On a side note, I am a bowfisherman and enjoy it very much but I have never shot a catfish over 4 pounds.....not because I couldn't but because I wouldn't.

Bowfishing is a great way to hone bowhunting skills during the summer and anyone that is a traditional archer would agree that it sharpens your instinct shooting.

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Maybe ya'll could work toward getting a limit put on catfish taken with a bow. Catfish are not a gamefish here in Kentucky but there is a limit of 5 if you are bowfishing or noodling.

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great Idea Griz. As far as the 36" rule I personally will be very disapointed if our great SCDNR isnt at that weigh-in to check those fish and let everyone know ahead of time that they will be checking. Iknow they have been for rod-n-reel fisherman and that is great and I thank them. I personally dont think ay tournament of any kind should be able to weigh in more than 2 big fish over 36".