i dont know

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nicka2231, Jun 19, 2009.

1. nicka2231

nicka2231 New Member

State:
    Texas
    im looking to buy a new rod and reel i just have some i bought from walmart. im trying to find a good affordable rod and real that will last. or should i just stick to wal marts does it matter?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Throw us out some ideas of what you are looking /needing. What size/type of fish, lake/river/ how deep/ structure ?/ price range, Baitcaster ? Things like this will help us better.

Welcome to the BoC
    -Jim-

3. nicka2231

nicka2231 New Member

State:
    Texas
    well i love catching catfish my biggest one was 9 lbs but of course i want bigger. i normally fish at lake whitney. i dont have a boat so i just bank fish. i really dont know what to look for in the structure or depth of the water. im still new to fishing

4. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Depends what you're fishing for. Are you targeting large fish or just eaters? If you are just starting out and are fishing waters that mostly contain smaller eater size fish, then yes the wally world outfits will be fine. However, if you are planning on fishing rivers or large lakes where the potential is always there to catch huge fish. I would go with the best gear you can afford. There are alot of good options that will work fine. I think that some of us on this site that catfish, and take it very seriously, tend to stress the need for anyone just starting out that you have to go out and buy expensive rods and reels and other gear to be successful. No, this is not the case. Heck, when I was a kid I would grab a couple of Zebco 202s on 5-6 foot fiberglass rods, and head to the creek. I always caught plenty of channels 1-10 pounders quite regularly. The point is , don't feel pressured to go out and buy $100.00 plus outfits just because of my or anyone elses recommendation. Just buy the best you can afford, rig them right, fish in the right spots and HAVE FUN!!!! Remember, you can always upgrade as you go along.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member