I dont know what it is

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by field989, May 21, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i was fishing a pond in kentucky and i was using a bluegill about 4 inches long(whole) and i cought a catfish i think it is a channel but i was wondering if they took whole fish

by the way it weighed 23 lbs

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sure do Jeff, Nice cat there brother. I use live gills for them all of the time.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    for channels??

i use gills for flatheads how big does a bluegill need to be to catch a 50 lb flathead

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yes, for channels. 3 to 6 inch bluegill for a 50 lb. flathead. You can stick about a 3 liter bottle in a 50 lb. flathead's mouth.:big_smile:

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    awesome. i think there are 2 of em in that pond but the biggest i have cought is a 25 lb

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught some pretty nice channels on live 3-5" gills and sunfish. My dad caught one under a bobber one time on a live gill that was about 8lbs.

7. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ive caught about 20 times more channels on live bluegill than I have flats but believe the reason is that channels around here seem to be a whole lot more abundant than the flatheads.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    FISH EAT FISH ,wether its a flathead or a channel blue gill or any other bait's size doesn't mater if the fish is hungry. cant remember the site but on here or the net iv seen a flathead bout 15# with a basket ball in his mouth now i aint saying he could swallow it but i will say iv cot fish on baits larger than themselves for instants a channel of 15# could easily swallow a 3# channel and flat of 50# could swallow a 15# channel

9. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i catch alot of channels off of about 3 to 4 inch gills. works quite well. the gill slides up the line (untouched) and i get a free channel! works good for me lol

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Up until the beginning of the fishing season this year (I moved last year, shich ended my season early) I always used bluegill for bait when catfishing. I usually try to keep them alive when doing this because in the smaller lakes that I was fishing in the bass would feed in the same areas and they prefer a bait that is moving.

Since moving I am closer to a dam tailrace so I am using cut shad for the most part. I keep hoping to get some smaller shad I can use whole.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was cleaning a 23 pound Flathead once and found an 11 inch Smallmouth in him...and he still ate the 4" bream I caught him on!