I don't know about braid not being abrasion resistant..

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Jan 24, 2010.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I did a little NON-scientific yet practical test just now.

The test items:

65lb Stren Super Braid yellow
    20lb Spiderwire Super Mono 20lb clear/blue
    50lb Silver Thread AN40 (old but kept in cool storage)

All fresh off the factory spool.

65lb Stren SB is about the same diameter as 17lb mono so I figured that it'd be a good representative to use the 20lb mono against it.

The Silver Thread 50lb line is thin for 50lb mono, but still much thicker than the other two lines.

I cut an 18" length of each line.

I then took each length of line and rubbed it directly across the sharp steel toothed edge of my shop vise in the garage, and counted how many passes it took to abrade through the line and cause it to break.

Spiderwire Super Mono 20lb test took 39 passes break.

Silver Thread AN40 50lb line took 79 passes to break.

65lb Stren SuperBraid NEVER broke or abraded through. I stopped after 100 passes. It looked barely rubbed. The line didn't start to "feather" or show strands.

Like I said, not scientific, but the edge of my vise is pretty sharp, more so than most river worn rocks I've encountered.

Braid looks better to me all the time.

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    BRAID IS SOMETHING ELSE......

FIGURE ILL GIVE A TIME TRIAL THIS YEAR :)

3. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Cool test thanks for the info makes me feel better about all this new braid I've just spooled up, LOL. Power Pro 65# and Tug-o-War 100#

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  5. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I did have the lines under tension, as much as I could apply with the line rubbing 90 degrees against the edge. I wrapped a couple of inches of line around my fingers on each hand while rubbing and pulling against the vise as hard as I could without cutting my fingers with the line.

I was going to use concrete too, but it was pouring rain, so I didn't. I might go do it now though.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  6. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Ok. I just did it with the decorative concrete block from my retaining wall. Talk about getting a weird look from my wife when I came in with it. Anyway, it's one the ones that's finished on all sides with the rough unfinished face. It's definitely more abrasive than my vise's edge.

Running the line completely across the rough face making contact with the entire rough surface with as much pressure as I could apply got me this:

20lb mono was 9 passes
    50lb mono was 14 passes
    65lb Stren super braid was 84 passes
    A nice cut on one of my fingers!

That surface did make a big difference, but the braid still did the best. It definitely was fraying and feathering out this time. But it still lasted much longer.

Who knows? Best thing to do is use what you're comfortable with.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It would be interesting if we could test the same surfaces, as there is a lot of difference in concrete. I had to go back to the old board and search for my original thread there, because I remembered that I later went back and tried it with 20lb mono. I wasn't real specific in my post there, but it was Spiderline Super Mono, and it broke for me in 5 passes vs 9 passes for you with the same line, so my surface may have been the rougher one.

8. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    There are so many variables that each of us may doing ONE thing totally different, but that changes the outcome of the test.

I think that I'm going to to rig a way to tie the line to the bench and then tie a heavy weight onto the end. Then I'll get some 60 grit sandpaper and put it on a block or something and run the line that way until it breaks. The tension would be more consistent that way, taking one variable out of play.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    you guys watching football???

10. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Kyelkhunter LOL sounds like your "bored" as me and ready to go fishing, LOL. But interesting post and even with the variables like who was using "more" pressure, roughness of test surface etc... either way it seems the braid is doing pretty darn good but of course thats compared to 20# mono. I personally use 65# braid with 40# berkley BG mono leaders snelled to my hooks and 100# braid with 80# mono leaders.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I did a Very similar test using 80# Power Pro, and 50# Big Game.. Not too much difference,, on a mesquite branch,,however, the mono did perform a bit better.

I've had some surprising failures with braid while fishing, becoming nicked or abraded,no knot failures , line just parted.
    I've no confidence in it.

I suppose to each his own..

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That was my experience using braid for a leader, or when using braid under 50lb test for the main line. But 65-100lb braid with a mono or fluorocarbon leader of 30lbs or greater has been very reliable for me.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes, I was using 80# Braid,, w/ 50# mono leader..I'd never use a braid leader.

I really like how braid acts in use as far as feel and strength,,casting etc. And, in some waters I fish, I suppose it would work fine,,

14. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    No need to watch the Colts game. I knew who was going to win that one.

Now the Vikings and Saints, well, that game HAS to set a record for the most fumbles in a game, if nothing else.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Every batch of the same line is different as well. From just fishing I have noticed that braid is more abrasion resistant then mono. The problem with mono is the stretch. Once you start stretching it you weaken it.

16. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    The braid beat the 50lb mono too. I'm gonna run braid on everything but the kids set-ups this year. I just can't find any reason not to, other than the high inital cost. But if I don't spend it on fishing stuff, I'll spend it on something else (or the wife will buy clothes BLAH).

And yes, I am bored, but I do silly stuff like that all the time, just to satisfy my curiosity. One time, there was a custom rod maker on here who was talking about how much weight his $200 rods could deadlift. So I went out and got my $40 Daiwa Eliminator 7ft boat rods and did the test. I didn't lift a cinder block, but I thought that 15lbs was pretty good for a off the shelf cheap stick, as he put it. He got pissed at me when I posted what I did and how well the rods performed. Basically accused me of trying to steal his business and get people to buy store rods. Unbelievable. I just said, well, not everyone can or will pay $200 for a rod, they deserve to know that their "cheap" stuff can work well too. DUH. He's not on here anymore for some reason.

17. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    The only problems I had when I used braid for leaders was snelling the hooks. The little gap by the eye of the hook was to big so the braid would slip in there. So I had to just tie the leader to the hook. I switched to 50# Big Game for leaders just so I could snell the hook.

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I too feel the abrasion resistance of braid is severely under rated,especially in the heavier # tests.I like the mono leaders for 2 reasons-I can make them a little lighter,so I don,t lose the $ braid when I get hung up.And I feel the braids too limp for leaders,allowing the bait to get it tangled up with your main line.