I doa need no steenkin' shad

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Feb 15, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I fished yesterday and thought I would stay below the BHB all day. I set the gill net twice and it yielded me two cutters. I said enough and went to fish with what I had and in the meantime set my net about 100 yards upriver of me. Well, I fished the hole for 30 minutes and pulled a 38# in. He was pulling drag at will and I thought I finally had me a 60, but oh well, it was a fun fish!

I went to retrieve my net, and it was HEAVY. Reports of the shad's demise are greatly exaggerated! I kept only the ones hooked in the gills and/or bleeding, which amounted to 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full. And counted all that I released which was 55. So I had probably 80-90 from that set of my gill net. I know it's a good idea to stay with your net, but when bait was as slow as it was that morning, I thought I would come back to just a handful of cutters and catfish.

Fished between BHB and Flowerdew, and only got two other good takedowns but no hookup. Off the water by 4 and back home. I'm gonna get my tilt and trim fixed before I venture out again. It's a real PITA to adjust it manually at launch/load, not to mention I tore my prop and skeg up really bad launching with the motor just a little too low.

Attached Files:

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Not sure where BHB is I was on the pier in Charles City, I know Flowerdew is not far from there...Looks like you had fun.

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the report Brother.Atleast ya got a nice fish.An ended up with some bait.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    BHB = Benjamin Harrison Bridge.

Were you at Wilcox Wharf? If so, I was setup at those pilings you told me about in the afternoon for about an hour. I saw 3 guys at the end of the pier, and somebody playing some loud music.

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Not me with the music though.... I may have left by then. I left at 2:30, the bite was real slow.

6. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    congrats on the 38lber josh. that 60 lber is gonna be on your line soon i can feel it. glad to hear the bait report. sounds like you had your hands full clearing that net. i do not blame you for getting that tilt fixed. those props and skegs are not cheap. my old boat does not have electric tilt... have to do it manually.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Congrats on the 38 lber and thanks for the report.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You got your citation below the bridge which I remember was a goal of yours.

I enjoyed talking with you today. I ended up with a 42, 36, 26, and four or five under 10. I caught fish everywhere I stopped but one place.

I caught probably 20 or more cats in the gill net which I gave to some guys from West Virginia. I fished until after dark.

9. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice fish!!!!

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the great fishing report, Joshua! I would have been happy with a bucket full of shad, the way my fishing luck has been lately. :sad2:

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Come on down to the James some time, be glad to take you out. Just gotta get my tilt/trim issue fixed first.

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the offer, Joshua! Why wouldn't I expect a gracious offer from you James River fishermen?

Most of my "bad luck" here lately, though, adds up to lack of time, and there's not much that we can do about that! :roll_eyes: