I did it, Sams Bluegill trap!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by vince, Feb 12, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well I just finished my trap and Holly Cow! My finger tips are killing me. Feels as if my fingers went thru a meat grinder..I followed the directions and it took a novice builder like me 4 hours to make one.. And this will be my last one I ever make....It looks just like the pictures so i guess i did all right...The only thing i added was I took 17 gauge wire and weaved the sides together that took almost two hours..I also used cable ties to secure the cage together than weaved everything tight...This cage should last a long time...I used a big sheet of fence 36"x10' 1/2 inch so I had alot of cutting to do....

If you pay for bull heads it gets spendy so i hope this trap will solve the high cost of bait...My next step is setting up a bait tank in my garage
    I think I might be using 150 gallon plastic drum, picked up from a farm auction...This will be fun to set up....

vince

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Good Goin Vince!! after you catch a bunch of bait with it , the hard work will be worth it !!

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    sounds like you're off to making some extra money from all the extra bait that you will have... keep us posted on this endevor..

bayrunner ray

4. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    sound like you are a master of the trap. i need to make a trap also. oh wait, i got three kids, some cane poles and a city lake just full of the right size bait fish. now thats work!!!

5. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    We fished a catfish tournament last year and went thru 5 dozen of suckers 6 to 8 inches that was alot of money ...I like to use live suckers for channels on this particular tournament.. so my goal this year is not to spend a dime on bait...The trap cost me about $16.00 to make and the bait tank in my garage will cost around $125.00 thats including a filter for water circulation.....If you can find bullheads for sale they are not cheap
    .75 a fish..ouch.....vince